Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacUserUK

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2012
Firmware updated no problem what so ever. I have a relatively new HyperDrive which was purchased 10th June and it did require an update so I assume that some stock (like mine) may not be using the latest FW.

Question though. Is there any release notes for the update, what exactly has been improved?

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
You can use an adapter to convert to C. I did this and was able to successfully update the drive, but it IS an unnecessary evil for the vast majority of people who dont have native usb type c on their PC.

I used this adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B47V967/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Worked perfectly.
[doublepost=1561405103][/doublepost]
between hyperdrive and Satechi , which is better?

I’d recommend satechi. Hands down, and ive had both for a while to have enough experience to say this.
[doublepost=1561405145][/doublepost]
Firmware updated no problem what so ever. I have a relatively new HyperDrive which was purchased 10th June and it did require an update so I assume that some stock (like mine) may not be using the latest FW.

Question though. Is there any release notes for the update, what exactly has been improved?
the update was only to squash bugs. It offers no new features.

Beards

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2014
Derbyshire UK
A couple of questions if I may:
1. Does the iPad Pro 2018 support Gen 2 10Gbit transfer and if so which adapter is suitable?
2. In addition to the multi-port adapter, I am also looking for a smaller simple usb-c male to usb 3.1 gen 2 female adapter but am having issues in finding one. Does anyone have any info on this please?

Thanks guys in advance.

jukeboxaddict

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2014
I bought this from B&H Photo yesterday, and be warned that their version includes none of the accessories. You get the one preinstalled grip that isn't compatible with screen protectors — not the other one.

And if you flip it around — it's USB-C right? Why not just reverse it? — the longer end of the grip creates enough of a gap between the iPad and Smart Folio Keyboard to prevent the keyboard from working.

Can't believe they're cheaping out on the consumer unit for $100.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Bummed I can’t update my Hyperdrive’s firmware due to the USB ports on my old MBP not being version 3.1. So other than draining the battery faster than I would like, it has worked very well.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Does anyone know if the Hyperdrive would support the Audioquest Dragonfly Red USB-A headphone amplifier/DAC? If so would the power suck on the 2018 iPad Pro be too great?

wrkngclasshero

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2008
Columbia, MD
Does the firmware update prevent the dock from draining the iPad battery when attached but not in use? Can anybody speak to the effect of this dock on battery life as I’ve seen some mention of it draining batteries faster than normal.

Thanks!!

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
https://www.hypershop.com/collectio...-android-usb-c-devices?variant=20087181443134

Just got an e-mail from Hyper-drive for a new 9 in 1 cabled hub for the iPad Pro. I took the plunge due to my hatred of dongles that hang of the side of my iPad while held horizontally my my Apple folio. I hope hope it:

1. Doesn’t have heat issues

2. Doesn’t suck power too much (thought they claim pass through power)

3. Works with my AudioQuest USB-A DAC/AMP for headphones

4. Reads my memory cards from my Fujifilm X-Cameras

5. Can accept firmware updates via my iMac or hey how about via memory card.

I’ll return with review whenever I get one. Anyone out there already have one?

ipos

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2011
https://www.hypershop.com/collectio...-android-usb-c-devices?variant=20087181443134

Just got an e-mail from Hyper-drive for a new 9 in 1 cabled hub for the iPad Pro. I took the plunge due to my hatred of dongles that hang of the side of my iPad while held horizontally my my Apple folio. I hope hope it:

does it mean it will not need external power adaptor?
able to draw power directly from ipad pro?

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
does it mean it will not need external power adaptor?
able to draw power directly from ipad pro?

I guess it can work without external power. I want the option of using pass through power to the iPad should I need it. Sort of like my Apple USB dongle.

“Supports USB-C pass-through 60W charging. Allows USB-C device to be charged while using the USB-C hub at the same time.” According to their web site.

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California

Looks just like the one I have already:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PB92RFX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I dislike these dongles but they seem to be better than these attached models...

camedenliving

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2019
I saw this on the Kickstarter and back then it was a pretty good deal by the time I had found it you were no longer able to contribute as they had started production. I like the look and the spacer thing to help secure it to the device, my friend Kate had purchased one and I was able to try it out, works well, and has a great appearance, however the price is just too much when there are many like it out there for $20-$30 less of same quality. While I would like to purchase this I went with a $50 one that looks great and works flawlessly. I’m sure if they made the price more competitive they would have a greater sales volume imo.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Kinda figured this would happen, against my better judgement I purchased the HyperDrive Ultimate suspecting that sooner or later that thin little cord would fail where it attaches at the hub. There’s been too many times when I‘be noticed the hub had slid off the table, couch etc and it’s weight along with all the cables attached to it were stressing the attachment point. Now I get intermittent signal and have to move the hub around until the obviously broken/frayed wire inside the cable makes full contact again.

I need a hub for my Pro but maybe this time I’ll get one without the thin cable.

Which hub are you guys using nowadays?

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I'm using the 6 in 1 that plugs directly into the side of my iPad Pro.

It has a little plastic projection that acts a a stabilizer against the side of the iPad. Works fine with my Apple folios. It is removable, in the case you use won't adapt to the plastic projection. The best part is NO cord. Of course I don't know if the offered ports on this model would meet your needs.

The previous/older model I passed on to my kid. I didn't like the short cord. And it was slow importing photos from my SD card. The 6 in 1 is very fast.

I don't know why they don't make a removable/replaceable cords for their dock products.

Reactions: Codeseven

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008

It has a little plastic projection that acts a a stabilizer against the side of the iPad. Works fine with my Apple folios. It is removable, in the case you use won't adapt to the plastic projection. The best part is NO cord. Of course I don't know if the offered ports on this model would meet your needs.

The previous/older model I passed on to my kid. I didn't like the short cord. And it was slow importing photos from my SD card. The 6 in 1 is very fast.

I don't know why they don't make a removable/replaceable cords for their dock products.

‘Thanks.

I should add that the HyperDrive itself worked just fine, so I think they’re products in general are good, I just want people to be aware that short cord can and will fail.

Akuma no Sekai

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020

Hello, I'm using the same hub for my ipad pro 2018. Just a question, I'm trying to stream audio and video output from this through hdmi cable to my elgato. But I'm only getting video signal. Is this hub not like the apple usb c av adapter?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.