Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosmos-man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas
We bought a Hyundai Genesis 2015 and 2 years ago I installed the software upgrade that included CarPlay. Our phones connected fine and we used it for a couple of years just fine using the standard Lightning cable connected to the USB port. About a month ago something happened and it was as if the USB port went totally dead. Nothing. After trying 2 phones and many cables we took it to the dealer, who replaced just the USB port part of the assembly in the dash (not the electronics feeding the port).

When we went to pick the car up we tried it and it was still dead using just the USB port connection as we did before. He is telling us that the problem is with Apple and software upgrades, and that we have to buy the cable that includes both the auxiliary plug and the USB as an assembly. He demonstrated with an Android and an old Apple phone, but, all I saw was charging, which I assume was coming from the auxiliary plug, not a CarPlay connection.

Any ideas here? a) Has Apple made any software changes to iOS 12.X that would cause this in the last month? b) Anybody know if Hyundai has made changes to their hardware that might cause this?

I'm waiting for the dual plug to come tomorrow but I expect it to only charge the phone but not run CarPlay. My suspicion is the problem is in the electronics in the dash.

Suggestions solicited!!

Flummoxed.

Last edited:

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
We bought a Hyundai Genesis 2015 and 2 years ago I installed the software upgrade that included CarPlay. Our phones connected fine and we used it for a couple of years just fine using the standard Lightning cable connected to the USB port. About a month ago something happened and it was as if the USB port went totally dead. Nothing. After trying 2 phones and many cables we took it to the dealer, who replaced just the USB port part of the assembly in the dash (not the electronics feeding the port).

When we went to pick the car up we tried it and it was still dead using just the USB port connection as we did before. He is telling us that the problem is with Apple and software upgrades, and that we have to buy the cable that includes both the auxiliary plug and the USB as an assembly. He demonstrated with an Android and an old Apple phone, but, all I saw was charging, which I assume was coming from the auxiliary plug, not a CarPlay connection.

Any ideas here? a) Has Apple made any software changes to iOS 12.X that would cause this in the last month? b) Anybody know if Hyundai has made changes to their hardware that might cause this?

I'm waiting for the dual plug to come tomorrow but I expect it to only charge the phone but not run CarPlay. My suspicion is the problem is in the Harmon Kardon electronics in the dash.

Suggestions solicited!!

Flummoxed.
I'm almost hesitant to ask this, since it's probably no help, but:

Are you unlocking the iPhone after connecting it to the USB port in your car? If you don't unlock the phone, CarPlay will appear to be non-responsive.

At one point, I actually thought CarPlay was broken in my 2016 Sonata, but all I needed to do was unlock my iPhone.

cosmos-man

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas
I'm almost hesitant to ask this, since it's probably no help, but:

Are you unlocking the iPhone after connecting it to the USB port in your car? If you don't unlock the phone, CarPlay will appear to be non-responsive.

At one point, I actually thought CarPlay was broken in my 2016 Sonata, but all I needed to do was unlock my iPhone.
[doublepost=1564526935][/doublepost]Yes, phone was unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.