Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pepss_95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2018
I accidently spill some liquid (flat white) on my Macbook pro 2017 Touchbar, luckily I had a keyboard cover which protected the keyboard, but some fell on the speakers grill (on the right side) I cleaned it right away with my fingers and napkins then put a napkin on the speakers grills, closed the lid and put the macbook upside down so it can be drained somehow with gravity, I think the napkin was very very slightly wet that it can barely be noticed after I removed it, then put a new napkin again and left it upside down till I reached home 2-3 hours later, I removed the napkin it was dry and I used a vaccum cleaner 5-10 times on the speakers and the keyboard close to it ,The macbook is working normaly till now and the speakers also are working as usual I guess, I’m really worried that there might be some damage that I can encounter later, my question is , How long should I wait to be relieved that nothing would happen ?

And also if there is something else I should do ?

Sorry for the long post.

Thank you in advance.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
If liquid has made it into the device, then chances are corrosion will set in eventually. Nobody can guess the amount of extent of any damage, which is why liquid damage voids a warranty.

If it's working now then it should continue to work, however it could give up in 6 months, 6 years, or might give up due to something entirely unrelated. However, again if liquid damage is in there it voids the warranty.

Best thing is to just use it and not worry, hopefully it'll keep going for another 3 years which should be enough time to consider an upgrade anyway.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I accidently spill some liquid (flat white) on my Macbook pro 2017 Touchbar, luckily I had a keyboard cover which protected the keyboard, but some fell on the speakers grill (on the right side) I cleaned it right away with my fingers and napkins then put a napkin on the speakers grills, closed the lid and put the macbook upside down so it can be drained somehow with gravity, I think the napkin was very very slightly wet that it can barely be noticed after I removed it, then put a new napkin again and left it upside down till I reached home 2-3 hours later, I removed the napkin it was dry and I used a vaccum cleaner 5-10 times on the speakers and the keyboard close to it ,The macbook is working normaly till now and the speakers also are working as usual I guess, I’m really worried that there might be some damage that I can encounter later, my question is , How long should I wait to be relieved that nothing would happen ?

And also if there is something else I should do ?

Sorry for the long post.

Thank you in advance.

And this is why you get applecare. (I think)

Knotsure79

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2018
I just pulled this up on google.
That’s why I bought a refurbished MacBook, so I could afford AppleCare +. It also helps when reselling in a couple years.
a272edcfd6ba41cc70f59b3e30713d9f.png

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
AppleCare+ (with the plus) is not available everywhere. In my country there is only regular AppleCare.

Sackofnickels

Suspended
Jul 13, 2018
Worst thing would be for someone to tell you not to drink coffee (or any liquids) near your computer...

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I just feel really uncomfortable with a cup of coffee near my computer, esp. when it's in a Latte Glass with the top wider than the bottom.....I just put it far away enough so that even if it topples it won't be on top of the MBP..

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Nectar of the gods! :)

Few people know that BC actually means “Before Coffee”. They were so messed up back then they were counting years backwards!
LOL. You are the Dude!

I know I shouldn't but I love coffee in the morning with my Mac. Doesn't everybody?

To the OP: If you want to be cautious, do not use the Macbook anymore until you have an authorized Apple service centre open the machine and examine the entire interior for signs of liquid.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
If liquid has made it into the device, then chances are corrosion will set in eventually.
The speaker grilles on recent macbooks are mostly fake/decorative. Only a small section actually has holes penetrating all the way through the chassis, and that's over the glue-sealed treble speakers. So if any fluid actually made it through, it'd be contained within the speaker and wouldn't cause any particular damage (there's nothing to damage, really.) The water will evaporate eventually, and what will remain is a slight coffee residue. The speaker should be unaffected by this.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
"The macbook is working normaly till now and the speakers also are working as usual I guess, I’m really worried that there might be some damage that I can encounter later, my question is , How long should I wait to be relieved that nothing would happen ?"

Just be happy that it's still working. If it works, it works.

And from this point on, make some "rules for yourself" insofar as handling liquids near the laptop is concerned...

Pepss_95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2018
The thing is I’m from Egypt and here te authorized centers are really so unprofessional and it could take months to book an appointment, but I know for sure this would be the most logic action to take, thank you man.
LOL. You are the Dude!

I know I shouldn't but I love coffee in the morning with my Mac. Doesn't everybody?

To the OP: If you want to be cautious, do not use the Macbook anymore until you have an authorized Apple service centre open the machine and examine the entire interior for signs of liquid.
ing
[doublepost=1532965425][/doublepost]yeah sure buddy, I’m thankful it’s still working I was just worried, it’s been about 17 hours now and it looks okay
OP:
"The macbook is working normaly till now and the speakers also are working as usual I guess, I’m really worried that there might be some damage that I can encounter later, my question is , How long should I wait to be relieved that nothing would happen ?"

Just be happy that it's still working. If it works, it works.

And from this point on, make some "rules for yourself" insofar as handling liquids near the laptop is concerned...
s
[doublepost=1532965762][/doublepost]I’m really relieved so much by your reply,I hope that’s the case and I checked a video of the macbook dissembly and the guy doing the dissembly didn’t even get to the speakers at the end and said it’s part of the case and it’s sealed somehow ,anyway thank you very much, it’s a relief !
The speaker grilles on recent macbooks are mostly fake/decorative. Only a small section actually has holes penetrating all the way through the chassis, and that's over the glue-sealed treble speakers. So if any fluid actually made it through, it'd be contained within the speaker and wouldn't cause any particular damage (there's nothing to damage, really.) The water will evaporate eventually, and what will remain is a slight coffee residue. The speaker should be unaffected by this.
I’m
[doublepost=1532966686][/doublepost]
48 hours just to be safe?

What do you mean, bro ?

Pepss_95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2018
Guys, can anybody confirm if those screenshots are true ? because I only spilled the few drops at the upper part of the grills beside the “delete” button

Attachments

• E4E09799-0582-43A5-9782-6916F43A1203.png
    E4E09799-0582-43A5-9782-6916F43A1203.png
    404.4 KB · Views: 694
  • C9C50D8E-9C27-46BC-A6F4-98544A34E565.jpeg
    C9C50D8E-9C27-46BC-A6F4-98544A34E565.jpeg
    108.8 KB · Views: 931
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.