Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
had a 2016 MacBook Pro. Keyboard went bad and had it replaced, then sceen went bad and had it replaced, then logic board went bad and demanded a new computer. They gave me a 2017 version reluctantly. Went to install Mohave last night, went through ok but then when they computer tried to reboot I got the dreaded question mark folder instead of the apple logo. Booted into internet recovery but my ssd isn’t recognized by the installer or by selecting startup disk or by disk utility anymore. Looks like the update has killed my computer and once again it will be in for another major repair. This is the worst computer apple has ever made. What a piece of trash.

Reactions: George Dawes

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
had a 2016 MacBook Pro. Keyboard went bad and had it replaced, then sceen went bad and had it replaced, then logic board went bad and demanded a new computer. They gave me a 2017 version reluctantly. Went to install Mohave last night, went through ok but then when they computer tried to reboot I got the dreaded question mark folder instead of the apple logo. Booted into internet recovery but my ssd isn’t recognized by the installer or by selecting startup disk or by disk utility anymore. Looks like the update has killed my computer and once again it will be in for another major repair. This is the worst computer apple has ever made. What a piece of trash.

Have you done the usual process of resetting SMC/PRAM(do 2016+ still have that?)

I find it hard to believe Mojave just killed your boot drive, and you made sure you were looking at your internal devices not volumes right? Disk Utility nowadays hides the physical drive itself from the UI, just showing the volume you’re using.

Reactions: afir93

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I will try to see if I can show all devices in disk utility. I didn't try that, the only thing that was showing up in there was the recovery partition and nothing else. I assume that the SSD is corrupted since when I go to try to install the OS or set the startup drive it doesn't show anything as being available to install on. Perhaps it can be repaired if I can get the drive to show up in disk utility I will try that tonight thanks for the idea

Reactions: iModFrenzy

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Well disk utility can’t show anything other than the recovery image. SSD is bad I am sure. Looks like it can be replaced without replacing the whole logic board at least

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
What did you do and how were you installing Mojave? It’s hard to believe that even a new replacement 2017 is failing. There’s definitely a way to install Mojave and get it back up and running.

Did you mount the volume in disk utility? If FileVault is enabled it will not mount until you enter the password. These are all things people have to know. I really doubt your logic board has any issue at all.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Solution:

Take it to an Apple Store genius bar, and ask them to re-install High Sierra.
Forget about Mojave, at least for now...

Reactions: 0009827

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Took it to the apple store. They plugged it in to their network and tried to run diagnostics but after multiple attempts and them resetting the pram and smc they couldn’t get it to run diagnostics at all...it would just freeze after they selected the language and agreed to whatever terms there are to agree to. They then ordered me a new ssd and logic board. I was installing Mojave’s through the App Store as usual while plugged in to power and no my computer isn’t using file vault
[doublepost=1538254820][/doublepost]
Solution:

Take it to an Apple Store genius bar, and ask them to re-install High Sierra.
Forget about Mojave, at least for now...

High Sierra was still what internet recovery was trying to install but the installer couldn’t recognize the ssd anymore. Looks like the Mojave update corrupted my ssd. I doubt it ruined the logic board but they ordered one anyway just in case the new ssd didn’t solve it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.