Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Hello, I took an iOS Development class back in what feels like 2010.. Learned a lot with Objecive-c at the time.. Made some small apps for personal use. Never went forward. To this day, I can read and understand code regardless of the language. Quick Google searches and make some tweaks. Now I want to really get back into development. I bought a book on Python yesterday as a lot of stuff I personally want to do is in python. But now, I'm thinking that since I already have a grasp for Objective c that I should refresh my memory on that language and master it before I move on to something else. Even after I learn python, I still want to know objective c and potentially swift.. What are your guys thoughts.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
In my opinion, the language isn't all that important. Get good at programming concepts and ideas and it's transferrable from language to language. You can still have languages you're more proficient with than others, but to pick up a new language to use as a tool in achieving some goal - if you already know programming fundamentals, it really isn't that hard. Pick a problem to solve and solve it. The language is just a tool, and if there are libraries and tooling around Python that's well suited to the problem you want to solve, go for that, sure. The fundamental ideas are the important part and getting better at programming in language x will also make you better at programming in language y. Though I do advice knowing more than one language, preferably from different language families, so you get familiar with different idioms for problem solving. Like Haskell and Java or OCaml and C++; OCaml/Haskell will tend to push you towards more functional thinking and C++/Java will tend to push you towards OOP solutions - but both idioms can be good to have with you, and you can use OOP in OCaml or functional paradigms in C++ to solve any given problem with the best suited tool for the job

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.