Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pppez80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2021
Los Angeles & New York
Hello —

See title.

I am bringing my Mac Pro 2013 from the US to Europe — what do I need to consider voltage wise?

The electric cable — at least externally — does not have any kind of voltage transformer like the Macbook Pros do; does that mean I need to buy any additional equioment before plugging in my machine the first time?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Hello —

See title.

I am bringing my Mac Pro 2013 from the US to Europe — what do I need to consider voltage wise?

The electric cable — at least externally — does not have any kind of voltage transformer like the Macbook Pros do; does that mean I need to buy any additional equioment before plugging in my machine the first time?
late-2013 Mac Pro power supply is internal and worldwide compatible (100-240V, 50 to 60Hz), you just need the correct power cord or an adapter (NEMA to the destination country standard).

I'd buy the correct cable.

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
You shouldn't have to worry anything but the cable.
From Mac Pro 6,1 specs sheet:
1632576584091.png

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
More importantly, how are you shipping it?
Not sure if you can take something electrical that large into the cabin.

Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
This is what you need:

No that’s a set of adapters for a MacBook external power brick, not what you want for a Mac Pro.

What is needed is a regular IEC C13 power cord for whatever country you are going to (sometimes incorrectly called a kettle lead). If it’s like the older Mac Pro tower then the Apple version has a flange that fits flush with the case, but a generic one works just as well.

Or, just get a regular travel adapter before you go (probably easier to get in the US) - just don’t use it to plug in your hair dryer....

pppez80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2021
Los Angeles & New York
late-2013 Mac Pro power supply is internal and worldwide compatible (100-240V, 50 to 60Hz), you just need the correct power cord or an adapter (NEMA to the destination country standard).

I'd buy the correct cable.
hmm i brought the US cable; can i just put an ordinary adapter on top or would that call for problems?

Petri Krohn

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
Actually , this is all you need:

Most of the world uses German Schuko type sockets and power cords. In Europe, Britain is the only exception. (The cables you linked are the British type.)

France also has slightly different wall sockets. The grounding pin is placed differently. But most power cords sold use the CEE 7/7 plug, that is able to mate with the standard Schuko and the French variant. See the map in this article.

The Mac or computer end of power cords is globally standardized. You can grab the power cord from any European PC or high wattage appliance.

Last edited:

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Most of the world uses German Schuko type sockets and power cords. In Europe, Britain is the only exception. (The cables you linked are the British type.)

France also has slightly different wall sockets. The grounding pin is placed differently. But most power cords sold use the CEE 7/7 plug, that is able to mate with the standard Schuko and the French variant. See the map in this article.
Well, as far as I could see I linked a SchutzKontakt standard plug , also compatible with the different earth contact used in e.g France, so I could be mistaken...... but I'm afraid not ; )
The Mac or computer end of power cords is globally standardized. You can grab the power cord from any European PC or high wattage appliance.
That's exactly why I posted it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.