Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Libertas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
I have iPhone 11 and I can choose between the charging cable and charger that plugs into the wall that comes with the phone (not sure if the basic wall charger is included or not anymore.)

or

I can buy a separate USB C cable and charger, where the end (what is it called) that plugs into the fast charger or C charger (the charger part is not A or C, just faster right?) is DIFFERENT than the end of the usbA cable that comes with an Apple phone, right? That is what I have and I cant use the fast charger (Anker) with android without some sort of special connector, right?

If my friend has a one year old LG phone, and tells me he only can use a USB C cable and charger, is that right too? Are the android cables the same on the end that plugs into the charger REGARDLESS of whether A or C?

My friend says the part that plugs into the charger for android is the same as my old Iphone cable.

So Apple makes us buy not only a different cable i.e. lightning but ALSO a different fast charger because of the END of the C cable is different than the end of the A cable?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
For Apple:
Lightning is the part that connects to the iPhone.
USB-A/C is the port that connects to the charger.
Apple stops bundling a charger in the box since last year. In terms of buying a charger, simply look at your cable. If it’s USB-A, buy charger that has USB-A slots (most chargers). If it’s USB-C, buy one with USB-C slots.

If you want fast charging on your iPhone, you must have lightning to USB-C cable, and USB-C charger with Power Delivery support. Luckily, USB Power Delivery is a standard, so you just have to find a charger that explicitly says it supports USB Power Delivery.

For most new Android phones, USB-C is the port on the phone as well, but the other end that connects to the charger can still be either USB-A/C.
Fast charging on Android is a mess, with many OEMs creating their own proprietary fast charging methods, thus requiring their specific cable and charger. The good thing is, they tend to also support other standards like Qualcomm QC or USB-PD.

Many Android phones stop bundling charger in the box as well (eg. Samsung).

Reactions: Libertas

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I can buy a separate USB C cable and charger, where the end (what is it called) that plugs into the fast charger or C charger (the charger part is not A or C, just faster right?) is DIFFERENT than the end of the usbA cable that comes with an Apple phone, right? That is what I have and I cant use the fast charger (Anker) with android without some sort of special connector, right?
As @ian87w if you want fast charging... the lightning to USB-C cable is the best route to take. I know its inconsiderate of Apple to give iPhone users lightning to USB-C cables without having a USB-C charger in the box... that was my issue with the whole no charger in the box. Given that was the first year transitioning to USB-A to USB-C.

But I would recommend buying a separate lightning to USB-C cable and charger... if you don't have any, heck... I have gone so far to buy my family USB-C cables and chargers to give them a better experience. As much as I don't like how Apple did customers with no chargers... I do like the USB-C connector, reminds me of lightning.

Libertas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
As @ian87w if you want fast charging... the lightning to USB-C cable is the best route to take. I know its inconsiderate of Apple to give iPhone users lightning to USB-C cables without having a USB-C charger in the box... that was my issue with the whole no charger in the box. Given that was the first year transitioning to USB-A to USB-C.

But I would recommend buying a separate lightning to USB-C cable and charger... if you don't have any, heck... I have gone so far to buy my family USB-C cables and chargers to give them a better experience. As much as I don't like how Apple did customers with no chargers... I do like the USB-C connector, reminds me of lightning.
Thanks, my 11 did not come with a C cable, pretty sure it came with the A...

I have C cables and fast chargers, this came up in a discussion with someone and I was surprised their cable was different than ours on BOTH ends.

Libertas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
For Apple:
Lightning is the part that connects to the iPhone.
USB-A/C is the port that connects to the charger.
Apple stops bundling a charger in the box since last year. In terms of buying a charger, simply look at your cable. If it’s USB-A, buy charger that has USB-A slots (most chargers). If it’s USB-C, buy one with USB-C slots.

If you want fast charging on your iPhone, you must have lightning to USB-C cable, and USB-C charger with Power Delivery support. Luckily, USB Power Delivery is a standard, so you just have to find a charger that explicitly says it supports USB Power Delivery.

For most new Android phones, USB-C is the port on the phone as well, but the other end that connects to the charger can still be either USB-A/C.
Fast charging on Android is a mess, with many OEMs creating their own proprietary fast charging methods, thus requiring their specific cable and charger. The good thing is, they tend to also support other standards like Qualcomm QC or USB-PD.

Many Android phones stop bundling charger in the box as well (eg. Samsung).
The thing I am pointing out or confirming is Apple not only requires you get a lightning cable but the OTHER end of the cable if you want to charge using a fast charger is different, smaller than the one Android users use because they use, in most cases, the A fitting that goes into the charger, right? Whether or not they are using an A or C cable, the other end is the same one for them and the same one for us if using the non C cable and charger, right?

Thanks for your help.

And the end of the cable that goes into the android phone can only be one type, one fitting, right? Just like the iPhone only one cable/end will fit into the phone? Ours is called a lightning fitting I guess, and ONLY thata will fit in an Apple product and I assume whatever slot/fitting is on an Android phone only accepts one cable in that fitting, right?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The thing I am pointing out or confirming is Apple not only requires you get a lightning cable but the OTHER end of the cable if you want to charge using a fast charger is different, smaller than the one Android users use because they use, in most cases, the A fitting that goes into the charger, right? Whether or not they are using an A or C cable, the other end is the same one for them and the same one for us if using the non C cable and charger, right?

Thanks for your help.

And the end of the cable that goes into the android phone can only be one type, one fitting, right? Just like the iPhone only one cable/end will fit into the phone? Ours is called a lightning fitting I guess, and ONLY thata will fit in an Apple product and I assume whatever slot/fitting is on an Android phone only accepts one cable in that fitting, right?
When we talk about the port on the phone itself:
iPhones have always been Lightning since the iPhone 5.
Androids are either micro-USB (still exist today, mostly on lowest end phones), or USB-C.

When we talk about the port at the end of the cable that goes to the charger:
Both iPhones and Android can be either USB-A or USB-C. Android have many implementations of fast charging, with some using existing USB-A chargers. With Apple, it’s actually simpler. USB-A means slow charging, USB-C (paired with the appropriate charger) means fast charging.

I don’t think this is a big deal. If you charge your phone overnight, slow or fast charging will make no difference. But for future proofing, just get a USB-C charger with Power Delivery support that also have a USB-A slot. That way, you can still use your Lightning to USB-A cable, and when your next iPhone has lightning to USB-C cable, you’re charger is ready for it as well.

But yes, I do think Apple unbundling the charger AND bundling a lightning to USB-C cable with new iPhones is just a greedy move for people to spend more money.

Libertas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
When we talk about the port on the phone itself:
iPhones have always been Lightning since the iPhone 5.
Androids are either micro-USB (still exist today, mostly on lowest end phones), or USB-C.

When we talk about the port at the end of the cable that goes to the charger:
Both iPhones and Android can be either USB-A or USB-C. Android have many implementations of fast charging, with some using existing USB-A chargers. With Apple, it’s actually simpler. USB-A means slow charging, USB-C (paired with the appropriate charger) means fast charging.

I don’t think this is a big deal. If you charge your phone overnight, slow or fast charging will make no difference. But for future proofing, just get a USB-C charger with Power Delivery support that also have a USB-A slot. That way, you can still use your Lightning to USB-A cable, and when your next iPhone has lightning to USB-C cable, you’re charger is ready for it as well.

But yes, I do think Apple unbundling the charger AND bundling a lightning to USB-C cable with new iPhones is just a greedy move for people to spend more money.
Thanks, I do have C cables and chargers, several.

Power delivery support? I have mostly Anker products for this, I will have to check and see, not sure what it is...thanks I can google it. I see that you meant Power Delivery Port. That port is the one that only fits the C cable that is unique to Apple, I guess.

Is power delivery port a generic term that applies to any Apple only charger you buy?

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Thanks, I do have C cables and chargers, several.

Power delivery support? I have mostly Anker products for this, I will have to check and see, not sure what it is...thanks I can google it. I see that you meant Power Delivery Port. That port is the one that only fits the C cable that is unique to Apple, I guess.

Is power delivery port a generic term that applies to any Apple only charger you buy?
USB-Power Delivery is a fast charging standard, used by many devices, including laptops. It’s not Apple exclusive. It just happens that Apple decided to use USB-PD as their fast charging method instead of developing their own proprietary method.

Reactions: Libertas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.