Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
Have you tested the homepods as homehubs with 17.2? do you get accessory not responding issues?
I disabled auto updates from Home and manually updated appletv, now appletv is 17.2 and homepods are older so appletv is always the home master and everything is responsive.

I'm just wondering if actually 17.2 fixed the homepods so I can actually upgrade and this is not needed.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Have you tested the homepods as homehubs with 17.2? do you get accessory not responding issues?
I disabled auto updates from Home and manually updated appletv, now appletv is 17.2 and homepods are older so appletv is always the home master and everything is responsive.

I'm just wondering if actually 17.2 fixed the homepods so I can actually upgrade and this is not needed.
I had issues out of nowhere showing 'no response' on many lights, etc. I decided to enroll my Apple TV in the TVOS 17.3 beta, just so it would be forced as the hub. I haven't had any issues since and everything is working great again. I also disabled updates on my Homepods and will disable betas for my Apple TV, once TVOS 17.3 is officially released.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I’m hoping 17.3 does improve my TV4k cause I get slow responses with all my automations… taking 2-5 seconds to complete.

Also looking for some guidance on matter/ thread. I have a 1st gen TV4k Ethernet connected as my hub. I recently updated to the latest HomeKit architecture to support a few matter devices.

Since my TV4k doesn’t have a thread radio I was wondering - should I get a newer TV4k or a HomePod mini. We have Alexa devices (not thread capable) in a few rooms but we also use Siri from our watches, iPad and iPhones.

Just wondering what your opinions are. HomeKit is the preferred platform because of automations based on iPhone locations.

MikeX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2016
I’m hoping 17.3 does improve my TV4k cause I get slow responses with all my automations… taking 2-5 seconds to complete.

Also looking for some guidance on matter/ thread. I have a 1st gen TV4k Ethernet connected as my hub. I recently updated to the latest HomeKit architecture to support a few matter devices.

Since my TV4k doesn’t have a thread radio I was wondering - should I get a newer TV4k or a HomePod mini. We have Alexa devices (not thread capable) in a few rooms but we also use Siri from our watches, iPad and iPhones.

Just wondering what your opinions are. HomeKit is the preferred platform because of automations based on iPhone locations.

too instable to invest on anything. it drives me crazy how unreliable this whole thing is. it is one thing you need to restart your computer because of a computer glitch vs at home none of your lights and devices work properly.

i have the latest appletv 4k, homepod minis, running on a properly tested wifi network and all I get is things not responding, siri not working lights taking time to switch on and off etc.

Reactions: whsbuss

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
]Since my TV4k doesn’t have a thread radio I was wondering - should I get a newer TV4k or a HomePod mini. We have Alexa devices (not thread capable) in a few rooms but we also use Siri from our watches, iPad and iPhones.

If you're not planning on adding any thread devices, then you won't gain anything. There are quite a few options showing up now, for smart outlets, bulbs, and sensors of various types that work on thread so having an aTV or HomePod with thread will greatly expand the devices you can choose from when adding to your system.

even if the alexas had thread, they would still use wi-fi for their main connection. Thread is fairly low bandwidth, but robust and low power, so ideal for sending small commands to home automation devices, especially if they're battery powered. It's not designed for streaming music or anything that requires a lot of thru-put.

From what I've seen here, thread border routers (what the HP and aTV are, they have thread + another network connection and bridge the two networks) from different manufactures don't play well together. Some Eero routers now come with thread, but most people have been disabling them, and just using the HP or aTV. End devices should work with the HP/aTV no matter who makes them.

Reactions: whsbuss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.