Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bopajuice

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Picked up the 8 plus. Worked great for a few weeks until calls started to cut out. At first I thought it was my reception. But it happens everywhere. I will be talking to someone and they just fade away and then come back suddenly. Does not matter who I am talking to or where. AT&T network in the Western USA.

So I made an appointment at the Genius Bar.

In the meantime I decided to stream some music from my 8 plus to my AppleTV 4. I first used the Amazon Music App, and then Plex, and then iTunes. All three would cut out and stutter while playing.

So I grab my wife's 7 plus, my iPad mini 4, and my MB Air. All three played fine no cutting out.

I take the phone in, tell them the trouble, tell them I did a full restore and it was still doing it. They replaced it in a heartbeat.

Here are my questions. They asked me if I did a clean install, set up as new or restore from back up. Why does that matter? The second was a tip from an employee telling me to set the Cellular Data Options/Cellular/Enable LTE to data only. Why?

Got home, tried the new phone streaming to Apple TV 4. Still cuts out. Not sure what's going on. Any ideas? Anyone else had these issues?

Last edited:

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
If you restored from a backup then whatever is causing the problem will be reinstalled. So if you set up your second iPhone 8+ with a backup that you were previously using on the first device that very well could be the issue. Have you set it up as new and tried it that way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.