Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blasto333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
I have installed Windows as instructed in the C: drive and it works great.

But since I have a non apple keyboard (logitech keyboard) I can't hold down the option key to select a disk. There is no driver for the keyboard so the option key is not recognized in Mac OS X. So my computer just keeps booting to windows when trying to hold option.

I have also looked in the Startup Disk via the control panel in XP, but I cannot see my mac drive.

It reads:
Select the System you want to start up your computer:

Rectangular white box with no drives in it

<placeholder do not loc>You have select Mac OS X on the volume "Untitled"

If I click the restart button in boots to windows.

The only work around I have now is boot to the OS X install disk and then use the Startup Disk Utility in there to boot to OS X, but that is a pain!

Any Ideas or any free drivers for a logitech keyboard?

Thanks,

Chris Muench

Takumi

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2005
Gunma, Japan
Apple's hardware monoploy take another evil twist. Bootcamp will only wor with an Apple keyboard

Takumi

P.S: unfortunatly I can't help with the problem

mulletman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2004
Los Angeles.
Haha, no worries...

On a standard windows keyboard, the Option key is mapped to either the 'Windows' key... or the Alt key right next to the space bar.

Good luck :)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
mulletman13 said:
On a standard windows keyboard, the Option key is mapped to either the 'Windows' key... or the Alt key right next to the space bar.
FWIW on my logitech (on the PC) it's definitely the Windows a.k.a "Start" key (it has Mac markings on the keys next to the Windows ones.)

B

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Not to make you feel retarted but...

Run XP natively
Once you’ve completed Boot Camp, simply hold down the option key at startup to choose between Mac OS X and Windows. (That’s the “alt” key for you longtime Windows users.) After starting up, your Mac runs Windows completely natively. Simply restart to come back to Mac.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp

It happens to the best of us:p

blasto333

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
The odd thing is I have one key that says Option/alt, then a key next to it that says alt. I only tried the one with option/alt on it. But it works great now!

Kelmon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2005
United Kingdom
No Bloody Option Key On My Mac

runninmac said:
Not to make you feel retarted but...

Run XP natively
Once you’ve completed Boot Camp, simply hold down the option key at startup to choose between Mac OS X and Windows. (That’s the “alt” key for you longtime Windows users.) After starting up, your Mac runs Windows completely natively. Simply restart to come back to Mac.

It happens to the best of us:p

What bugs me with that statement (and I even complained to my wife about this last night when I read it) is that I have a PowerBook Ti and Apple Keyboard, and both keyboards do not have a key labled "Option"; both keyboards have an "Alt" key instead. It took a while to realise that this key was the mythical "Option" key that various software manuals referred to...

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Kelmon said:
What bugs me with that statement (and I even complained to my wife about this last night when I read it) is that I have a PowerBook Ti and Apple Keyboard, and both keyboards do not have a key labled "Option"; both keyboards have an "Alt" key instead. It took a while to realise that this key was the mythical "Option" key that various software manuals referred to...
That's a good thing to be reminded about now and again. US keyboards have the words printed on the keys, but in most other markets Apple prefer to use odd symbols for at least some keys.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
For some reason it doesnt work with bluetooth keyboard. Maybe the driver for the bluetooth doesnt initilise before time to select as depreciated. I had to go back to wired keyboard.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
MacRumorUser said:
For some reason it doesnt work with bluetooth keyboard. Maybe the driver for the bluetooth doesnt initilise before time to select as depreciated. I had to go back to wired keyboard.
That's in the Apple instructions, the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse aren't yet supported.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah but who's got time for instructions ;)

Works great though.

I wonder if this will officially KILL mac games development. Why put up with a piss poor port when we can now play them directly?

Also is Virtual PC dead in the water? After all we can now dual boot and in leopard we will have full native virutalization... So again what's the point of the VPC product anymore?

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
iMeowbot said:
That's in the Apple instructions, the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse aren't yet supported.
That's ironic because they work fine on my regular old PC. They take a little longer to switch on but they work all the same.

Takumi

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2005
Gunma, Japan
MacRumorUser said:
After all we can now dual boot and in leopard we will have full native virutalization...

After all we will now be able to dual boot and in leopard, thus will have a full native solution.

Taht's better;)

Takumi

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
blasto333 said:
The odd thing is I have one key that says Option/alt, then a key next to it that says alt. I only tried the one with option/alt on it. But it works great now!
FWIW those are the Mac marking it probably has a silly windows logo on it too, the Alt only key is the Windows marking and is usually also marked with the apple command four leaf clover thingy.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.