Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

honam1021

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
From a recent update to Monument Valley (iPT 4G users rejoice):
- General improvements
- Performance optimisation
- iOS6 compatibility

Meanwhile, back in September SuperCell decided to end Game Center support for iOS 6 and below in Clash of Clans and HayDay, for apparently no reason other than being bribed by Apple. 4.3.x-6.x support is still there, but if you ever have to restore or wipe your device you're SOL.

Apple execs:"So our plan of forcing iOS 8 on those stubborn people by breaking Facetime has failed. Well, we'll just bribe some developers to break their favorite apps unless they upgrade."

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2010

Meanwhile, back in September SuperCell decided to end Game Center support for iOS 6 and below in Clash of Clans and HayDay, for apparently no reason other than being bribed by Apple. 4.3.x-6.x support is still there, but if you ever have to restore or wipe your device you're SOL.

Apple execs:"So our plan of forcing iOS 8 on those stubborn people by breaking Facetime has failed. Well, we'll just bribe some developers to break their favorite apps unless they upgrade."

Not surprised to see this in 2014. The app developer probably heard from their user base that were still using iOS 6 and they listened by adding compatibility again. Keep in mind, some devices now like the 3GS cannot go past iOS 6. Why limit your user base? and as more people see the issues with 7/8, there is more demand for iOS 6. Many now are going out of their way to find iPhone 5 devices that are still running iOS 6.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

I'd like to see proof of the claim you're throwing around regarding supposed bribes.

Not surprised to see this in 2014. The app developer probably heard from their user base that were still using iOS 6 and they listened by adding compatibility again. Keep in mind, some devices now like the 3GS cannot go past iOS 6. Why limit your user base? and as more people see the issues with 7/8, there is more demand for iOS 6. Many now are going out of their way to find iPhone 5 devices that are still running iOS 6.

Why limit your user base? Because so few people are running iOS 6 that it's more expensive to support it than not, in some cases. Why bend over backwards to support 4% of your market when you can target 7+ and get 96% of iOS users?

It's time to face the facts. iOS 6 by itself runs just as well as ever- but app support is dwindling and will only get worse as time goes on. Monument Valley is the exception, not the rule. It's awesome that Ustwo is expanding their support, of course.

honam1021

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2012
I'd like to see proof of the claim you're throwing around regarding supposed bribes.

Can you explain why they intentionally break Game Center support for iOS 6 if they wren't bribed by somebody else? You don't need to do additional coding in order to support GC for pre 7.x versions.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Can you explain why they intentionally break Game Center support for iOS 6 if they wren't bribed by somebody else? You don't need to do additional coding in order to support GC for pre 7.x versions.

Lack of knowledge/understanding doesn't serve as proof of something.

Last edited:

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Lack of knowledge/understanding doesn't serve as proof of something.

I was really confused as to why I was quoted saying something that I never said, but I see what happened now.

In any case, you're exactly right. "I don't understand why this happened, so my theory is probably true" means absolutely nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.