Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
I know with all the new Intel machines out now and G5 Macs some of you might say its not that big of a deal but this past Friday I picked up a mint condition Powermac G4 DP 1.25Ghz machine off Craigs List for only $150!!!:eek:

Thats right I know many of you will say its no big deal but considering what they sell for on eBay I consider my find the deal of the year on a used Mac.

It came with a Superdrive and 512mb plus a Seagate 100gb 7200 hard drive.

Why anyone watse a dime on eBay is beyond me long live Craigs List and the good folks that buy and sell through CL no inflated shipping or outrages bidding wars.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Congrats That Is A Fantastic Bargain

I agree that's a major score. Runs very fast. That's my favorite last PM G4. Only Dual 1.43GHz was faster and not as good for other reasons.

You forgot to put where you live in your profile. Where are you? What city did you get the Mac from?

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I know with all the new Intel machines out now and G5 Macs some of you might say its not that big of a deal but this past Friday I picked up a mint condition Powermac G4 DP 1.25Ghz machine off Craigs List for only $150!!!:eek:

Thats right I know many of you will say its no big deal but considering what they sell for on eBay I consider my find the deal of the year on a used Mac.

It came with a Superdrive and 512mb plus a Seagate 100gb 7200 hard drive.

Why anyone watse a dime on eBay is beyond me long live Craigs List and the good folks that buy and sell through CL no inflated shipping or outrages bidding wars.

But does it work?

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
But does it work?

Works like a charm! for the last few nights I have been doing some heavy duty video editing with FCP 5 and it cuts through video like a hot knife in butter. Renders super fast and burns DVD's even faster. Its been powered on non stop for a week now and let me tell you its got muscle big time! I plan to max out the ram etc. I see a very long future for my trusty new to me old model Mac.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Nice! Although I didn't get anything for as low a price as you did, but $1499 for a fully loaded MacBook Pro that had been used less than a week (that's $1000 off, BTW) was a pretty awesome deal:)

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
But does it work?

Here is a thought to ponder I paid less for a working DP G4 MDD then some folks pay for broken G3 Macs on eBay. I love the $500 broken Power Books on eBay that have been beat to hell and back! dropped dragged and pulled behind a car yet the bidding wars go on and on. There should be a mental hospital that accepts only people that have paid to much for useless old broken down Macs :p

Long live Craig's List !

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
yeah occasionally craiglist has a diamond in the rough deal, back in January I scored an brand new (well bought and never used) acoustic guitar for $40

aliasfox

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
I'll do you one better - I just picked up an overheating dual 1 GHz Quicksilver for free. I asked the guy in charge of the office how much he wanted for this surplus machine, he said I could just take it because they couldn't reuse it at another desk. Turns out the CPU fan died - rigged up a new one and she works like a charm.

I moved my SATA drive, USB2 card, bluetooth, and Radeon 9700 pro over and she screams. Neither my Cube nor my 12" PowerBook can touch it, and it doesn't feel any slower than the MacBook I have from work (probably a function of the GPU and the hard drive).

Though I guess I find it somewhat odd that a 5 year old tower feels "new" and "screamingly fast" to me.

aliasfox

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
craigslist.org

depends on what city you're in, you could have a wealth of older computers to play with, or next to nothing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.