Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crazytile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
I keep hearing the M2 pro max lost to the 4090 RTX (just a few benchmarks only). I am sure the M3 will be good

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I don't think it will come that close. My guess is that at best, the M3 Max will perform at around the RTX4070 level (with RT). The 4090 is just a ridiculously powerful (and power-hungry) card. Even AMD don't bother trying to compete with it.

I know that MetalFX upscaling quite good and can be compared to DLSS 2, but I don't think Apple Silicon offers any frame-generation capability which is found in the RTX-40 series cards.

This was a comparison with M2 Max

Last edited:

Crazytile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
I like the Macs a lot... as my work uses the PC a lot so no choice. I also like the power of the 4080 and 4090.. and Black Friday is around the corner.. not sure if should get the Macbook Pro M3 or the cheaper 4080s for less than the MacBook Pro I am sure... BestBuy and many like Newegg, Microcenter etc are coming up with deals very very soon. Hate to say this sometimes I feel Apple is holding back its power and releasing it bit by bit only so can make more $$. Thanks so much for sharing Kiranmk2!!

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
That's the M2 Ultra.

My take is we're at least a couple generations away where Mac laptops can be on equal footing with TOL PC laptops. I expect the top M3 Max to be about half as performant as the 4090 mobile chip, which itself is a fair bit less powerful than its desktop variant.
You're right it is. That means that I might have to lower my prediction: The Max chip GPU will likely be somewhere around the RTX4060 to 4060TI region and that is primarily a 1080p card (1080p with high settings or 1440p with med/low settings).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.