Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
:confused: (1) Will prices of current Macs drop now that the new range is here? I want to buy an entry-level I-Book (I only do word processing, internet, e-mail and digital pics). (2) Would I be wasting my time with "old" tech or is there still life in current I-Books? Price is my main consideration. I can get a bottom-of-the-range I-Book G4, 12 inch, in London for GBP699.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
desx said:
(1) I want to buy an entry-level I-Book (I only do word processing, internet, e-mail and digital pics). (2) Would I be wasting my time with "old" tech or is there still life in current I-Books?

iBooks are still breathing and kicking ... OMG, they're alive! Your needs are nowhere near meeting the usual definition of overly demanding. Go for it.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
desx said:
(I only do word processing, internet, e-mail and digital pics).
That sounds like an iBook G4 would suffice for a few years, yet. I love my iBook. I used to have a PowerBook but my needs for a portable are just like yours and so since I got my iBook, I haven't looked back.

Better wi-fi reception.
Better battery life.
Feels more durable (I'm not as worried about 'babying' it).

I say go for the iBook. The new MacBook Pro doesn't phase me one bit.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
devilot said:
That sounds like an iBook G4 would suffice for a few years, yet. I love my iBook. I used to have a PowerBook but my needs for a portable are just like yours and so since I got my iBook, I haven't looked back.

Better wi-fi reception.
Better battery life.
Feels more durable (I'm not as worried about 'babying' it).

I say go for the iBook. The new MacBook Pro doesn't phase me one bit.

Totally agree. I also just got my 12" new iBook, and it is awesome. Works like a charm and is very light and portable... yesterday I went to a cafe to get some writing done, initially there were no tables available with an AC outlet nearby, so I just cruised on battery... was there for 4 hours writing and there was still 1 hour 40 min of juice left when I walked out... so light, I don't even feel it as I walk down the street for several blocks (I carry it in a Tom Bihn Slingbag - see my sig).

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
do it

For general computing needs, the 12" iBook remains the best deal out there, Apple or otherwise. Mine still feels like new!

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
mattraehl said:
For general computing needs, the 12" iBook remains the best deal out there, Apple or otherwise. Mine still feels like new!

Disagree, but the iBooks are still ok for websurfing and battery life.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
Old iBooks

Airforce said:

?? Then I guess I shouldn't be doing all that word processing, photo editing, and sound recording with iMic. I wish I'd known that earlier!

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
When is ibook just ok for web surfing and battery life? It handles video editing, photo editing, itunes, garageband all really well and simultaneously.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Airforce said:

I love it when folks throw out negative remarks, but don't bother to back them up... disagree why? What do we learn from "I disagree"? That Airforce disagrees? I guess it's important to know that Airforce disagrees... not why, what reasons, right or wrong... just disagrees... ooookaaaayyyyyy...

Really why bother with a remark like that?

On topic, I don't know if iBook is the best deal out there for what it does, but if you price a Dell laptop with similar specs, you don't get it cheaper... remember, weight and battery life are very significant factors for many. To me, the 12" iBook is first and foremost a PORTABLE computing solution. If I wanted a desktop, obviously, I would invest in a big monitor and all the other things that are advantageous in a stationary computer.

As is, if I need it to be portable, I want it as light as possible, with as long a battery life as possible, as powerful as possible and as cheap as possible. But you don't get the extreme of all of those in one package. There are PC laptops out there that are a lot lighter - but they don't have the battery life, or capabilities (f.ex. no CD drive), and are expensive. Some are much more powerful (Powerbook 12"), but don't have as good a battery life, and are way overpriced compared to what they deliver compared to the latest 12" iBook - exactly the case of "best deal for what it offers"... again, maybe yes and maybe not "best", but better than the 12" PB (cost/performance ratio). So bottom line, for what *I* found, the combination of weight, performance, battery life, and cost is very favorable for iBook and the best *I* found as a PORTABLE solution, which is what I wanted, and what the 12" iBook has been designed for. You are free to "disagree" of course for the following reasons... oh, wait, no reasons given. Gotcha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.