Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jive

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
I could have afforded, easily (inheritance money), a 20" one at the time and now a 24". The problem is iMacs look weirder and less beautiful imo as they get bigger, 20" looks _too_ big, if it's possible.

I don't quite know what I mean here, anyway, am I the only person to do this?

Infact, I could actually have bought a PowerMac (Mac Pro's weren't out yet) with a 30" screen fully pimped with the money but I really wanted an iMac. my Mac is 2Gb RAM with 250Gb HD, and I use it for light Graphic Design (my Uni has better Macs)/usual things, surfing etc

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Could for you, you spent the money on what you wanted and didn't splurge!! I wish I were a bit more careful like that at times. Personally I think the 20" iMac looks much better than the 17". I'm not sure about the 24"er, I'll wait until I see it in the flesh before I pass judgement.

whenpaulsparks

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
as an owner of a 20" iMac G5 (with isight, same casing as current iMacs), i disagree. if you don't think you'll benefit from the extra screen real estate, by all means save yourself a few hundred. but i have benefitted from it greatly... not only the increased productivity of being able to put two large documents side by side, but with doing video production... final cut pro fits a lot better with a larger monitor, plus you have a larger canvas window. also, you get darn-near 1080 resolution for playback of HD video, which is nice. the 24" model you get actual 1080 resolution plus some. so yes, it is worth it, if you use it. if you don't use it, i think almost anyone benefits from a larger screen.

edit: just realized your point is about how it looks. i think it looks spectacular, and i think the 24" would as well.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
I have a 20" Core Duo and it looks very stylish. I would recommend the 20" with the 256mb x1600 and at least a gig of RAM. If looks are what your worried about, don't be worried. (Oh and also, its FAST)

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
ya price is no consideration for me as well, (but in my case, because i can't afford any imac), and i agree that the 20 and 24" imacs are too big, but that is mostly because i have only really used the 17" so i am used to them, like at school and my dad has one. however, i think that if i were to get a 20" or 24" (in my dreams), i would definately get used to it.

I'mAMac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
In a Mac box
virus1 said:
ya price is no consideration for me as well, (but in my case, because i can't afford any imac), and i agree that the 20 and 24" imacs are too big, but that is mostly because i have only really used the 17" so i am used to them, like at school and my dad has one. however, i think that if i were to get a 20" or 24" (in my dreams), i would definately get used to it.
The 20" is very nice. I cant wait to get my 3dmark06 score:D

L

Lau

Applespider said:
I don't agree either. I think the chin looks larger on the 17" one and prefer the 20"

Me too. I think the chin gets more in proportion the bigger the face gets. :D

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
I've always thought as a 20" owner that the 17" models look squarish and 'stubby.'

wisredz

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
i have the 20" core duo, and I fiddled with these babies before buying. In my opinion 20" dwarfs 17". I'd like to have the 24", the bigger the better. Anyway, here in Turkey we get all the stuff really late so I'm not pissed off. But someday i will have a mac pro with two 30".

Oh my, i feel great just by thinkig of two 30"s

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
jive said:
Infact, I could actually have bought a PowerMac (Mac Pro's weren't out yet) with a 30" screen fully pimped with the money but I really wanted an iMac. my Mac is 2Gb RAM with 250Gb HD, and I use it for light Graphic Design (my Uni has better Macs)/usual things, surfing etc

Ok, now was that really needed? We all got the point, you could have bought a much better iMac then you did because you liked cheaper ones looks(I disgaree I love my 20'' ACD much more then my 17'' iMac, and I fine screen space very important) thats fine. Telling use you could have bought a much nice iMac is also fine because it adds to the point that you really like the smaller iMac, and it had nothing to do with the price.

But the PowerMac comment was not needed. We get it that price of the Mac was unimportant to you.(I agree with you that some people buy way to powerful computers for their needs just because they can)

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
yeah i just want a black one, all black including the stand. And For them to reduce the "iMac" type on the back, Preferably in aluminum. Sweet

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
pknz said:
I've always thought as a 20" owner that the 17" models look squarish and 'stubby.'

Me too. Exactly what I think whenever I see the two side by side...

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Applespider said:
I don't agree either. I think the chin looks larger on the 17" one and prefer the 20"

I wonder whether the 24" will make the 20" look worse or whether it will end up just being a question of size. I'm tempted by that one...

The "chin" is what bothers me most about iMac, really I've tried to get accustomed to it, but everytime I use an iMac, I find the chin to be just too distracting and detracts from the overall design in my opinion.

Honestly I don't like the iMac at all, there I said it, I still think its a nice computer but I just don't like it, I can see why people do like it though. However, a desktop that compromises on components (which are all basically mobile stuff) for design (an ugly design in my opinion, though the idea is good), that limits your options so much (throw away a good display when computer is no longer used, use of unupgradeable laptop components), distracting chin and weird form factor, seriously it looks like a mutant LCD and the fact the desktop computer offers NOTHING over the mobile line and very little over Mac mini is very dissapointing. I only really like the Mac Pro and Mac Mini is great too for the price and market it appeals to, the mobile line is pretty darn good too, iMac sucks.

There I said it, flame me all you want, I just had to said it :) if you enjoy your iMac, great that you do and that you do not regret your purchase.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
Chone said:
The "chin" is what bothers me most about iMac, really I've tried to get accustomed to it, but everytime I use an iMac, I find the chin to be just too distracting and detracts from the overall design in my opinion.

Honestly I don't like the iMac at all, there I said it, I still think its a nice computer but I just don't like it, I can see why people do like it though. However, a desktop that compromises on components (which are all basically mobile stuff) for design (an ugly design in my opinion, though the idea is good), that limits your options so much (throw away a good display when computer is no longer used, use of unupgradeable laptop components), distracting chin and weird form factor, seriously it looks like a mutant LCD and the fact the desktop computer offers NOTHING over the mobile line and very little over Mac mini is very dissapointing. I only really like the Mac Pro and Mac Mini is great too for the price and market it appeals to, the mobile line is pretty darn good too, iMac sucks.

There I said it, flame me all you want, I just had to said it :) if you enjoy your iMac, great that you do and that you do not regret your purchase.

You know, I sort of could see your point, even if I didn't entirely agree, right up until you said: "I only really like the Mac Pro and Mac Mini is great too for the price and market it appeals to, the mobile line is pretty darn good too, iMac sucks." That's when you lost me. First you complain about the laptop components in iMac, and then you go on to praise the "desktop" comps including the mini? Did you forget, or not realize that the mini has laptop components as well? In fact, that's one of my beefs agains the mini. You know, when all is said and done, given the price/performance, I'd rather get the iMac over the mini.

Truth is that Apple does NOT have a consumer desktop, period. iMac is a laptop stuck to the back of an LCD monitor, with all the limitations that implies. The mini is a shrunk laptop without a monitor. The Mac Pro is a top end Xeon chip beast. Apple does not have any consumer computer period - nothing with conroe which is the desktop chip.

I would love to buy a headless TRUE desktop from Apple... and no, I don't want to drop $2000+++ on a Xeon chip workstation.

I could take the $1200 and build myself a sweet conroe puter - I already have a nice monitor. Sadly, Apple offers no such animal.

There is a serious HOLE in Apple's hardware lineup. I feel Apple would sell a ton of mid-range desktops with conroes in them.

/sorry for the rant

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Everybody is forgetting why the "chin" is there: Post-it Notes!

And I'm only half kidding--you should see the iMacs where I work. Really does serve as a nice space to stick photos, notes, and such.

My wife is with the crowd that thinks the chin looks funny, but I personally like the look. I agree that the larger screens make it look a little more proportional, but even the 17" has a cool sorta "square" look that I like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.