Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I wanted to say after weeks (months?) of hemming and hawing over a new SurfaceBook, I finally took the plunge. I wanted one when they initially rolled it out, but I was happy to hold off - given the initial issues.

Overall the computer is a beauty, solid, great feel, the screen is down right gorgeous. The performance is great, but then I haven't really pushed it too much.

I loaded Windows Anniversary edition last night (boy that is slow), Office apps and few other things.

I'm not knocking Apple, but I think for me, MS has a solid product, and I love the touch screen. I'm sure when Apple rolls out their new updates later this year, they'll be nice but my needs are such that I needed something sooner then later.

I opted for the base model, for a few reasons.
First, my iMac is my main machine, I don't need a dGPU, 256 or higher storage.
Secondly, budget was a contraint. I really didn't want to spend nearly 2k for a 13" laptop
third, my mobility needs are different then my day to day needs.

Yeah, I'm a bit hesitant to live within 128GB storage but I'll not be loading my iTunes library, nor will I import my LightRoom library, so for how it will be used, I think the storage is more then enough

I'll probably look to continue to put it through its paces this weekend and see how long the battery lasts under my usage.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
im sure if apple introduces touch screen mbpr, they would be 3k $ so if you want to have a laptop with a touch screen, win laptops are the only ones.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
im sure if apple introduces touch screen mbpr, they would be 3k $ so if you want to have a laptop with a touch screen, win laptops are the only ones.
It's amazing how quickly you get used to the touch screen and how useful it is.

I really don't expect Apple to embrace touchscreens for their laptops. I think they're afraid it would eat into their already decreasing iPad sales.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I wanted to say after weeks (months?) of hemming and hawing over a new SurfaceBook, I finally took the plunge. I wanted one when they initially rolled it out, but I was happy to hold off - given the initial issues.

Overall the computer is a beauty, solid, great feel, the screen is down right gorgeous. The performance is great, but then I haven't really pushed it too much.

I loaded Windows Anniversary edition last night (boy that is slow), Office apps and few other things.

I'm not knocking Apple, but I think for me, MS has a solid product, and I love the touch screen. I'm sure when Apple rolls out their new updates later this year, they'll be nice but my needs are such that I needed something sooner then later.

Secondly, budget was a contraint. I really didn't want to spend nearly 2k for a 13" laptop

Yeah, I'm a bit hesitant to live within 128GB storage but I'll not be loading my iTunes library, nor will I import my LightRoom library, so for how it will be used, I think the storage is more then enough

I'll probably look to continue to put it through its paces this weekend and see how long the battery lasts under my usage.
Congrats! I remember you were contemplating it a few months ago but didn't pull the trigger. Do report back and let us know how you are getting along with the surfacebook. I have considered doing the same thing for quite a while now too.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
It's funny I was talking to @maflynn about his thoughts on the Surface Book as we both got ours about the same time. My first impressions so far:

Installed the August 30 updates on my Surface Book and everything has been smooth sailing.

Aside from having a rocky start out of the box... the Surface Book so far has been absolutely fantastic.

• Keyboard is excellent. Best I've used on a PC and I like it better than my Macbook and Macbook Pro's
  • Track Pad, again best I've used on a PC. Comes in a VERY close second from my Macbook's Force Touch trackpad
  • Performance is very impressive. OS is fast and smooth, productivity apps like Office launch and run quick. Highly considering keeping this at the moment and putting my Razer Blade Stealth for sale
  • Transition between laptop mode and tablet mode, so far Zero issues. Execution has been perfect so far
  • Surface Pen, just as good as the iPad Pro's. Great palm rejection and works great on Evernote and One Note
  • Battery Life (in laptop made) - too early to say but can go 7-8 hours. Tablet mode... dies after 2.5 hours, yikes.
  • This is a very well designed device and well constructed. Feels like a premium product. That hinge is a bit weird but I got used to it in a matter of minutes.
  • I am having issues with the mDP to HDMI adapter from Microsoft to output to 2K resolution. It is stuck at 1080, and I am thinking it is because it isn't an Active Display port.
  • Also getting popping and cracking sounds while connected to the HDMI as well so I ordered and Active Display Port adaptor from Amazon which should hopefully correct the problem.

Just remember for all new Surface Book Owners... Install all the updates first and DO NOT go through the aggravation in trying to install Chrome 64-bit. If you have to use Chrome, use the 32-bit version which runs perfectly (so far).

Update: new 64-bit chrome update works perfectly!!!

Last edited:

Three141

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2016
London

Congratulations, I believe the Surface is the best tablet device out now and finally we no longer have to put up with stupid bloatware.

I use my SP2 as my sole device had it for a bit and only recently had an issue with the mini-display port not working but it was fixed with a reset, I also bought the docking station and could not be happier.

I know my next device will be either the SP4/5 and after that I'll see what Apple's offering.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
It's funny I was talking to @maflynn about his thoughts on the Surface Book as we both got ours about the same time. My first impressions so far:

Installed the August 30 updates on my Surface Book and everything has been smooth sailing.

Aside from having a rocky start out of the box... the Surface Book so far has been absolutely fantastic.

• Keyboard is excellent. Best I've used on a PC and I like it better than my Macbook and Macbook Pro's
  • Track Pad, again best I've used on a PC. Comes in a VERY close second from my Macbook's Force Touch trackpad
  • Performance is very impressive. OS is fast and smooth, productivity apps like Office launch and run quick. Highly considering keeping this at the moment and putting my Razer Blade Stealth for sale
  • Transition between laptop mode and tablet mode, so far Zero issues. Execution has been perfect so far
  • Surface Pen, just as good as the iPad Pro's. Great palm rejection and works great on Evernote and One Note
  • Battery Life (in laptop made) - too early to say but can go 7-8 hours. Tablet mode... dies after 2.5 hours, yikes.
  • This is a very well designed device and well constructed. Feels like a premium product. That hinge is a bit weird but I got used to it in a matter of minutes.
  • I am having issues with the mDP to HDMI adapter from Microsoft to output to 2K resolution. It is stuck at 1080, and I am thinking it is because it isn't an Active Display port.
  • Also getting popping and cracking sounds while connected to the HDMI as well so I ordered and Active Display Port adaptor from Amazon which should hopefully correct the problem.

Just remember for all new Surface Book Owners... Install all the updates first and DO NOT go through the aggravation in trying to install Chrome 64-bit. If you have to use Chrome, use the 32-bit version which runs perfectly (so far).
Chrome 53 64 bit has just been released works great with much less battery hit also has HiDPi support.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Welcome to the club! Lots of nice discussion over at tabletpcreview.com if you want to join us.
[doublepost=1472945716][/doublepost]
It's amazing how quickly you get used to the touch screen and how useful it is.

I really don't expect Apple to embrace touchscreens for their laptops. I think they're afraid it would eat into their already decreasing iPad sales.

Yep, it always surprises me how much resistance there is to a touchscreen mac. If those guys were forced over to a touchscreen in addition to the other methods of input I'll bet the majority will suddenly extol the virtues.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Isn't it about time for new Surface's? You should have waited
SurfaceBook is on Skylake, so the next iteration will be kaby lake later in 2017. MS was quick to roll out a skylake equipped laptop, where as apple has seemingly dragged their feet.
[doublepost=1472987875][/doublepost]On a side note, I see how much $$ the SP3s are getting on Swappa, I think I'll be putting my SP3 up there and getting some money to help offset the cost of the SB. Luckily my company offers a stipend to help pay for new computers, so I'll be submitting the paperwork for that as well.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
SurfaceBook is on Skylake, so the next iteration will be kaby lake later in 2017. MS was quick to roll out a skylake equipped laptop, where as apple has seemingly dragged their feet.
[doublepost=1472987875][/doublepost]On a side note, I see how much $$ the SP3s are getting on Swappa, I think I'll be putting my SP3 up there and getting some money to help offset the cost of the SB. Luckily my company offers a stipend to help pay for new computers, so I'll be submitting the paperwork for that as well.
By "dragging their feet" Apple avoided the great PR Microsoft and other computer makers suffered thanks to Intel.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Whoa just realized that you get a free Surface Dock for buying a Surface Book. Need to go back to Best Buy to pick one up. God bless American retail :)

So I've had my Surface Book for about a week and so far so good. I think I have heavily used just about every feature and the experience has been great. I don't miss the iPad Pro, Razer Blade Stealth or Macbook at all. Looks like I gotta do some clean up and postings on the For Sale board :p

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

Congrats. It was especially wise to wait about a year before purchasing a Surface product. That's about how long it takes for Microsoft to work out most of the serious bugs/issues. Yes, you don't get in on the fun on day-1, but you also don't get in on the "fun" on day-1. ;)

128GB should do fairly well since it isn't going to be your primary device. The problem that I have with Windows in general is the footprint-creep of the operating system. Not a problem when one has a 500GB or 1TB drive, but on these lower capacity SSDs, I find it to be an issue.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
By "dragging their feet" Apple avoided the great PR Microsoft and other computer makers suffered thanks to Intel.
Perhaps but then the 15" MBP is still on Haswell, I'm not sure how that could be anything other then foot dragging

The 13" AFAIK still on Broadway

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Battery Life (in laptop made) - too early to say but can go 7-8 hours. Tablet mode... dies after 2.5 hours, yikes.
That's what I was wondering. That's disappointing. :/ I'd love to get one of these to mainly use in tablet mode, but that's barely half the amount of time I'd need it to last. I like the whole Surface Book idea over the regular Surface with kickstand and keyboard cover, but I would need better battery life for just the tablet part.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'd love to get one of these to mainly use in tablet mode, but that's barely half the amount of time I'd need it to last
I'm not making excuses for Microsoft, but I will point out that the SB has two batteries, one inside the display assembly and the main battery in the keyboard. That's why we such a short time span for the tablet portion. This was one area that reviewers gave negative grades.

I like the whole Surface Book idea over the regular Surface with kickstand and keyboard cover, but I would need better battery life for just the tablet part.
I will say working with this in my lap is a pure joy, I'm really happy with it. My SP3 was a solid machine, but I find this is providing a higher user experience.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
The problem that I have with Windows in general is the footprint-creep of the operating system
Agreed, that is a concern, but I suppose a simple wipe and reinstall should clear things out.

I'm not terribly concerned over that, as I'll deal with any possible OS creep (or bloat) in a couple of years.

@maflynn you only bought it so it looks all space age whilst your playing No Mans Sky :p
You found me out ;)

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I'm not making excuses for Microsoft, but I will point out that the SB has two batteries, one inside the display assembly and the main battery in the keyboard. That's why we such a short time span for the tablet portion. This was one area that reviewers gave negative grades.
I assumed, since the battery life is a lot longer when docked. :p

I will say working with this in my lap is a pure joy, I'm really happy with it. My SP3 was a solid machine, but I find this is providing a higher user experience.
If I was looking for a machine to use as just a laptop, I would still highly consider this. But I want a device to mainly use as a tablet but also be an excellent laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.