Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
...and can say that it is a very capable mid-range Android phone with some flagship specs.

I really didn't need 3 phones, owning already an 8 and an X, but I wanted to try out near stock android. Even Emui isn't as bad as it once was. Ordinarily, I would put Nova Pro on there but am going to stick with the stock launcher as I like the Google stuff on the left screen.

It comes in a standard configuration of 4GB RAM, 128GB ROM which suits me for music - both my iPhones are 64GB and I wanted something that could hold more music although I already stream most of my tunes.

It comes in a phantom green colour which shimmers and has purple highlights depending on the light and the direction you hold it. It has the same chip as the Huawei P20 Pro. The camera is surprisingly good - not as good as an iPhone with OIS but pretty good. It feels remarkably like the X in hand, just a bit lighter and possibly thinner (I haven't checked out the exact specifications for size). It came with a screen protector already applied and a gel case which is useful as I wouldn't want to scratch that lovely back.

It plays aptXHD which is a bonus as so do my Bowers & Wilkins headphones. So far I haven't noticed any sound improvement over the iPhone playing AAC but I am 51 so my ears probably aren't what they were. That's not to say that someone younger with more discerning ears couldn't. the PX are a decent set of headphones. I've tried them with my equally pricey Sennheiser PXC-550s also and sound is great. There is a 3.5mm audio jack too.

Android O seems speedy and I can see this phone being good for a few years, perhaps 3; I doubt, though, that it will get as long a life as an iPhone in terms of updates though it will get Pineapple later this year. At the price I paid (£359) it is definitely worth it and is probably the best Android you can get for this price - the flagships at twice the price don't offer a great deal more.

Build quality and design are top notch (yes it has a notch, too) it feels lovely in the hand with an all metal design (aluminium).

I still prefer iOs but this is the nicest android at the price I mentioned. https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_10-9157.php

Screenshot_20180629-150050.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

Last edited:

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
A bonus is that it comes with a nifty app which synced all my iPhone contacts and calendar appointments from the X. I'm going to put my main sim in it and see if I can live with it as a primary phone for a while. Nothing will make me give up the X, though, so I see this as a short-term experiment. I just like iOs so much better than Android but couldn't justify spending 8 or 9 hundred pounds on an android device such as the Samsung S9 or P20 Pro. £359 though is a bargain for the Honor 10. It doesn't really have any rival for value with its specifications at that price.

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
Does the email app allow ability to sort emails alphabetically like Samsung Mail does? The reason I ask is because such a feature may benefit professionals that are used to using Microsoft Outlook and Samsung Mail especially when dealing with cluttered mailboxes.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I got one too because I couldn't resist it at the price point!

I am amazed how they manage sell such a high spec phone at such a low price.

The only thing that gave me pause for thought was the notch, but there's an option to hide it so I never have to look at it and it doesn't bother me now...

For me, it really is flagship like performance at mid level prices and it could well be the start of me ignoring flagships into the future

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
It certainly is a lot of phone for the price. I took the screen protector off mine as the phone fell (knocked off a table whilst in hospital) and it became smudged, the smudge not wiping away. I would say that if you don't mind Emui it is a great device. My nova prime didn't look so good on it and I couldn't access some of the settings (could just have been me). But I managed to un-install a lot of the Honor/Huawei apps, and the stock launcher is just fine.

I certainly wouldn't pay flagship prices for an android again, but couldn't see myself not using iOs. I switched my main sim from the Honor 10 back to my iPhone X as there were just so many little things I prefer on the X. But the X was more than twice the price.

I've been ill and in hospital a lot so haven't really had a chance to play around with the camera on the Honor 10 much but what I did photo came out very well, better than any non iOs device I've had before. And I love the fact that it comes with 128GB as standard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.