Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
I have been backing up my MacBook pro to this portable back drive ever since I bought this late 2013 Mac and have not had any problems with it before Mojave. I ran first aid on the G Drive and also on the Mac and it did not solve the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions that I might try. By the way I am not very tech savvy

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
OK I have tried everything and apparently my G Drive portable backup is no longer working.

Please give me some suggestions on what would be the best 1TB portable backup for a MacBook Pro. The G Drive lasted 4 years.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Can you plug the G drive into A DIFFERENT Mac?
Does it suddenly come alive then?

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Thanks for your reply. The G Drive will back up to a certain point Like 50 gb out of 85 GB and then it will stop saying the back up failed. I have erased the G Dive several times and it stop down loading at the same spot every time. I'm thinking I need a new backup hard drive.

goslowjoe

Suspended
Dec 22, 2017
Thanks for your reply. The G Drive will back up to a certain point Like 50 gb out of 85 GB and then it will stop saying the back up failed. I have erased the G Dive several times and it stop down loading at the same spot every time. I'm thinking I need a new backup hard drive.

I had some issues backing up as well, then found a tip somewhere else - format the drive as MacOS Extended, Case Sensitive, Journaled. This sorted it out immediately on three misbehaving drives - Time Capsule, external HDD as well as external SSD.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
I had some issues backing up as well, then found a tip somewhere else - format the drive as MacOS Extended, Case Sensitive, Journaled. This sorted it out immediately on three misbehaving drives - Time Capsule, external HDD as well as external SSD.

Thank's for your reply. I will try that when I get home tonight. Did Mojave cause this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.