Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j.quintana

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
So I got my new iPad mini 4 today. While setting it up I recognized that 1,3 GB of 5 GB of my iCloud space are being used. After i logged in on icloud.com I was able to see that the 1,3 GB are being used by a backup. I guess it's an old backup from the iPad mini 2 I sold a couple of days ago.

My problem is that I am not able to delete this backup because it doesn't show in my iPad mini 4 and iPhone 5s (both running iOS 9.1) iCloud space management.

What can I do? I already googled a while, but all the guides I found only gave information about how to delete a VISIBLE backup, which mine unfortunately is not.

j.quintana

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Nobody has any idea? This is what my problem looks like:

unbenanntldun9.jpg

unbenannt2yrubd.jpg

Sorry for the German text, but I think you get the idea. I have absolutely no clue how to get rid of the backup that uses my iCloud space.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Do you see your old iPad there:

Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-23 um 14.26.02.png

Here is a guide to remove sold or lost devices completely from iCloud, perhaps you find anything that might help:

https://help.apple.com/icloud/?lang=de#mm25565a6496

The backups of my "old" iPhone are showing up either on the new iPhone and in the Mac iCloud settings too. But they were both on iOS 9.x.

I know there were some issues with backups of older iOS versions not showing up in iOS 9 betas.

2015-10-23 14.25.32.png
Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-23 um 14.31.43.png

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
It's a known issue from iOS 9. It's called a phantom backup. You can call Apple support and they can go in and remove it. They did so for me. Only took about 15 minutes from the start of the call to the end.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.