Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
I have spent some time trying to reconfigure my Colour laser printer and I can now connect and print from the printer settings menu through a browser window. I thought that my problems would soon be over.

I want to print my documents from pages, numbers etc. I fired it up - and looked for a print button, but nothing. I accept that I need to tell the device where/how to print but why would I if I pages/numbers cannot print?

Chris

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I've always wondered why printing to a networked printer has not been available. Since there are apps out there to enable this, it should not be too hard to implement. Maybe I'm missing something.

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
I've always wondered why printing to a networked printer has not been available. Since there are apps out there to enable this, it should not be too hard to implement. Maybe I'm missing something.

This puzzles me too. I wonder how people at :apple: print. Maybe they haven't made printing as a magical experience yet.

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
Although it appears the the two posters above have clicked that it is a networked printer and therefore directly addressable through a browser wirelessly.

Print Magic works as a shared printer through my mac - but the whole point of the iPad is to be remote from the 'office' and I just want to switch on the printer and print. It sees the printer when the mac is switched off but the printer just flashes at me.

I am stupid or is there no option to print from Pages/Numbers etc?

Chris

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Tulipone said:
I have spent some time trying to reconfigure my Colour laser printer and I can now connect and print from the printer settings menu through a browser window. I thought that my problems would soon be over.

I want to print my documents from pages, numbers etc. I fired it up - and looked for a print button, but nothing. I accept that I need to tell the device where/how to print but why would I if I pages/numbers cannot print?

Chris

If you have an app like PrintCentral or maybe Air Share HD you could export your Pages ot Numbers file to PDF and then print the PDF through one of those apps that allow printing.

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
If you have an app like PrintCentral or maybe Air Share HD you could export your Pages ot Numbers file to PDF and then print the PDF through one of those apps that allow printing.

Thanks for this - I was just looking at printcentral - not a cheap app is it? Bit scared as Print Magic doesn't appear to work for me (but the developer has emailed me back already!) that I am just going to keep buying apps.

Anyone else have a Samsung CLP 300N that they have working right?

Chris

AFTERNOTE: I see that both PrintCentral and Air Share HD need you to have a shared printer on a PC to work, rather than just a direct connection to an IP Printer. Happy to convert to a pdf etc, but if I then have to go an turn on the PC, I may just as well do the job there and save the £5.99

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
The iPad is supposed to be a better netbook than netbooks are. It WILL gain native WiFi/bluetooth printing support eventually and the only questions is will Apple or the Jailbreakers get there first. Why? Steve won't let a deficency like no printing remain a reason why some people don't buy an iPad.

The same folks who claimed the iPad would never get mouse support will protest. They'll be wrong. They are VERY wrong about mouse capability.

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
The developer @ Print Magic assures me that their App will do what I need at some point in the near future - but I can find nothing right now. Seems I am the only one in the world with this problem! Does that make me special?

I spent ages today trying to get the lot to work together - I even had to install Parallels and XP to run SETIP on my printer.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I'm sure until Apple adds printing functionality their response would be:

"We're trying to save trees by not allowing paper printing." :)

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
If they wanted to save some trees, my ipad should have come in a plastic box.

Not sure if that holds out terribly well so lets get printing.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
The developer @ Print Magic assures me that their App will do what I need at some point in the near future - but I can find nothing right now. Seems I am the only one in the world with this problem! Does that make me special?

I spent ages today trying to get the lot to work together - I even had to install Parallels and XP to run SETIP on my printer.

Nope, not the only one with the problem.

I bought print magic the other day and it worked for my screen shots. In fact, it printed them better trepan my Mac mini, so I organized them into albums and put them back on the iPad!

I'm looking forward to expansion in this area. I can't rely on a printer with a server piece, so I didn't upgrade my print n share to print central.

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
Just to add that Print n Share didn't work for me either. Looks like I need to wait for Steve and the gang to work something out for me.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Just to add that Print n Share didn't work for me either. Looks like I need to wait for Steve and the gang to work something out for me.

What didn't work?

I am in the process of trying to setup my extra AE router to use with my Canon i70. I have had the printer work just plugging it into my Time Capsule, but running into issues on the AER. I think it is because i don't have it connected to the internet and it is an IP addy problem. It sees the printer - but just won't print.

Now that i have fortified myself with lunch, I'm going to take it on again. I need it to work not plugged into the net because when i'm sitting where there isn't any access, i will still need to print. I am hoping to just have a "printer bag" that has both pieces in it and it is a "grab & go" situation.

Guess it is back to work - but man do i just want native Bonjour printing!

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
My printer is set up to get an IP through my Time Capsule (set up in the 10.0.1.x range), although a static IP works just as well. If I use Safari to go to the printer, I can send a test print. Using Print n Share, the printer is seen but neither of the available protocols seem to be supported by the printer and the status light flashes (there is traffic but something is missing).

Hope this helps with your quest.

Chris

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
Well my cannon printer connected to my Mac prints perfectly, I use print magic and I'm happy with it.

Canon probably use a different protocol than Samsung - maybe it doesn't help that it's a laser printer? Are you sure that you are not printing through a computer rather than IP/WiFi printing?

I am certainly no doubting that you can, just interested in getting mine working.

Chris

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
Canon probably use a different protocol than Samsung - maybe it doesn't help that it's a laser printer? Are you sure that you are not printing through a computer rather than IP/WiFi printing?

I am certainly no doubting that you can, just interested in getting mine working.

Chris

The Mac is connected to my airport for internet, the printer is connected to the Mac via USB. I went to sharing and enabled printer sharing and choose my printer, in print magic it scanned for printers and choose mine

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
The Mac is connected to my airport for internet, the printer is connected to the Mac via USB. I went to sharing and enabled printer sharing and choose my printer, in print magic it scanned for printers and choose mine

So if you were to shutdown the Mac, no printing? I would like to print without any other computers on other the iPad - I suspect that Print Magic is spooling and using the drivers on the mac.

Chris

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
So if you were to shutdown the Mac, no printing? I would like to print without any other computers on other the iPad - I suspect that Print Magic is spooling and using the drivers on the mac.

Chris

My office jet 7580 prints with print magic and isn't connected to a computer, it plugs right into the time capsule. When i got the i70 to work on it, i just plugged the USB into the back of the time capsule and away it went.

Which is why I'm guessing it is an IP addy assignment problem since i wiped the AER to set it up for this. Obviously, i got sidetracked after lunch and ignored the printer :D but hey, a working full air video set up is just as important right? Lol!

I'm pulling some stuff off the time capsule so i dont want to starting unplugging it, after i get handbrake going i'll rip it apart and try it again.

ETA: ok, I'm posting this from the "print" network i set up. Getting a flash of the light on the printer but the test print won't print (this is via print magic). Ugh. I can't afford to buy a wifi printer and see if it works right now, and i need to be able to print by June 5. Off to email the dev and see what he says.

I'm not lugging my stinking office jet out there either. Small compact i70 or nutin. At this rate I'm going to have to jailbreak for the weekend to use myfi. I need to talk to my IT person at that event and see what he has cooked up too. Maybe he will share his printer and/or install we print for me and i can get from a to b. At least for the weekend. Then i won't need it really again until July.

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
I have left this for a couple of weeks and now wonder if anyone has successfully been able to print to a wireless network printer, as opposed to a shared printer, yet? Print n share still does not work for me despite an update.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I have left this for a couple of weeks and now wonder if anyone has successfully been able to print to a wireless network printer, as opposed to a shared printer, yet? Print n share still does not work for me despite an update.

Just with my hp. The computer that is running the we print server was at the apple store, I could print to hhe printer with print n share via their update without the server.

On that end though, i prefer to magic print in the results area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.