Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulienBerthelot

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Canada
I knew about Apple's plan to switch to ARM well before my purchase, but I thought it would take them years to switch their powerful computers to ARM. Now that they've announced the "2 year" switch, I'm kinda worried my computer won't last me long enough, or that I'll miss those new ARM-only features (mostly speed & battery life).

My return window hasn't passed yet thanks to COVID-19, should I take advantage of this and wait for an ARM MacBook Pro 16" ?
(I personally always laughed at people who bought PPC Macs after the announcement of the Intel switch, but now that I'm living it, it doesn't seem as funny... o_O)

JulienBerthelot

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2012
Canada
What is your backup / alternate machine?

In all likelihood in your situation I would. I'm already jonesing for an Apple Silicon 16" MBP. It's entirely possible those won't be released until next Fall or later, though.
It would be my Hackintosh or I could, maybe, re-buy my old MacBook Pro 13" 2017 base config which was kinda slow. I also could re-buy my old 10.5" iPad Pro.

Corncab44

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
I'm in the same situation — and I LOVE this Macbook 16. If only Apple could give some kind of guarantee that they'll buy back these last intel models at a fair price, even if it's only half what we paid. I have no fallback Mac, but can probably find an old MBP 13 inch for around $600. If I knew an ARM 16 was coming this fall I would return it. Next fall, probably not. First Mac I've ever bought and already dealing with this...

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
It would be my Hackintosh or I could, maybe, re-buy my old MacBook Pro 13" 2017 base config which was kinda slow. I also could re-buy my old 10.5" iPad Pro.
If you can get one of those back and would be content with using them for another year, then I'd say go for it. Many others will tell you that if you're happy with your current machine (the 16") just keep it, and I understand the sentiment but I'm a New Tech kind of guy that's very excited for this transition. I'm ten toes down on Apple Silicon Macs and they haven't even shipped yet. I think they're going to be awesome. I'm envisioning a thinner, lighter, 120Hz mini-LED 16" MBP with 15 hours of battery life and I'm giddy for it.

That being said, only return the 16" if you're really going to be satisfied with the backup. Nobody outside of Apple knows when they plan to release the 16" ARM, and all we know is it's before December 31st, 2022. And there could be delays from their plan. It could be a while. If you're rich and don't care about taking the loss you could just hold onto it (maybe swap for a lesser specced version if you went all out?) and sell it when the ARM version comes around.

Corncab44

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
I wonder what kind of return 2019 16 inch MBPs will get if one attempts to sell them when the ARM comes out. Especially the price Apple itself will pay for a trade in...

jgorman

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2019
If you can use your hackintosh, I would return the 16-inch. I think the transition will be quicker than expected. Trying to resell the 16-inch later after new macs are all ARM will probably be difficult.

You could consider using Windows on it, but there is no automatic graphics switching in Windows (Bootcamp), so the dedicated GPU will drain the battery more quickly.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I knew about Apple's plan to switch to ARM well before my purchase, but I thought it would take them years to switch their powerful computers to ARM. Now that they've announced the "2 year" switch, I'm kinda worried my computer won't last me long enough, or that I'll miss those new ARM-only features (mostly speed & battery life).

My return window hasn't passed yet thanks to COVID-19, should I take advantage of this and wait for an ARM MacBook Pro 16" ?
(I personally always laughed at people who bought PPC Macs after the announcement of the Intel switch, but now that I'm living it, it doesn't seem as funny... o_O)
It took several model and OS revisions for PowerPC's back so many years to be good. You should be buying the laptop on what can you do with it today. Until you have real world observations, you should not gamble on a unknown. If the laptop is 5 years or less it will have trade in value so thats a reassurance. :)

Corncab44

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
But will it have trade in value? That seems to be an open question given Intel units will be obsolete (or heading towards obsolescence) in a way that say, a 2015 macbook pro wasn't in 2018. Much of this depends, in my view, on the trade in value one can get for a late model Intel MBP in, say, 2022 — or even next year.

It took several model and OS revisions for PowerPC's back so many years to be good. You should be buying the laptop on what can you do with it today. Until you have real world observations, you should not gamble on a unknown. If the laptop is 5 years or less it will have trade in value so thats a reassurance. :)

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Does anyone remember Apple's previous hardware transition?

I do. Bought a 17" PowerBook G4, loaded. For like $3600 CAD. I think it was 2004 or 2005. The first Intel Macs ate the PowerPC chips for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If I do recall there were some issues with the first generation of Intel Macs. I could have waited for the Intel machines, but Steve had just announced the Intel chips and they didn't become available for some time after they were announced.

I ended up selling that PowerBook a few years later to pick up a BlackBook.

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I paid 4500k after taxes for my 16" and when I looked at the trade value on apple website, it was 2100$. Ouch. I saw a lot of refurbs of the mbp 16" on the apple site using the tracking refurb website and resale value could hold till the arm one comes out as there would be still ppl wanting the old intel machines for good if they see a good value. I'm still within return for mine and also have an my 2013 mbp 13" i use. Will see how i feel in a week.

Corncab44

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
I paid 4500k after taxes for my 16" and when I looked at the trade value on apple website, it was 2100$. Ouch. I saw a lot of refurbs of the mbp 16" on the apple site using the tracking refurb website and resale value could hold till the arm one comes out as there would be still ppl wanting the old intel machines for good if they see a good value. I'm still within return for mine and also have an my 2013 mbp 13" i use. Will see how i feel in a week.
Let us know what you decide. I'm a similar boat, though with a slightly less spec'd out right (in fact, bought refurbished). Who wants to deal with this uncertainty! I guess it's good Apple offers to recycle their products lol!

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
But will it have trade in value? That seems to be an open question given Intel units will be obsolete (or heading towards obsolescence) in a way that say, a 2015 macbook pro wasn't in 2018. Much of this depends, in my view, on the trade in value one can get for a late model Intel MBP in, say, 2022 — or even next year.
I always bought computers to run particular software, what hardware config does it take to run what, I want at the performance I want. Buying a computer anticipating that you will get what you want with future software is a real gamble. Considering most laptops are not running ARM, phones and tablets are, if you can wait until next year after returning the laptop is that doable? :)

Corncab44

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2020
I always bought computers to run particular software, what hardware config does it take to run what, I want at the performance I want. Buying a computer anticipating that you will get what you want with future software is a real gamble. Considering most laptops are not running ARM, phones and tablets are, if you can wait until next year after returning the laptop is that doable? :)

I'm leaning towards returning the machine. It's hard since it's so, so nice. Such a pleasure to work on (though I'm still hoping the battery life gets better — or I was until yesterday!). I'm sure I wouldn't really notice anything for at least a year, but I don't want to rent a computer for a year. I don't absolutely need it at the moment. The only thing is if I wait for ARM, I'd probably want to wait for the second gen? Who knows. I'd probably buy a first gen 16 inch ARM macbook tbh... the uncertainty ruins the experience of having this laptop in any case. Unless Apple made some guarantee to buy back these machines at a certain value at least... but of course they will never do that since they'll insist intel is being supported.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I'm leaning towards returning the machine. It's hard since it's so, so nice. Such a pleasure to work on (though I'm still hoping the battery life gets better — or I was until yesterday!). I'm sure I wouldn't really notice anything for at least a year, but I don't want to rent a computer for a year. I don't absolutely need it at the moment. The only thing is if I wait for ARM, I'd probably want to wait for the second gen? Who knows. I'd probably buy a first gen 16 inch ARM macbook tbh... the uncertainty ruins the experience of having this laptop in any case. Unless Apple made some guarantee to buy back these machines at a certain value at least... but of course they will never do that since they'll insist intel is being supported.
If its not right, go with your feelings. Gotta be something you really like.

Last edited:

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I would return it if it was me. I’m still happy with my 2012 15”. Now that it’s not supported by the next OS release it’s getting due for a replacement, but I’ll wait for the Apple Silicon version. I recently bought a couple of 2013 Mac Pros, but I don’t regret those purchases because I wanted supported desktops that are more than a mini yet less than the 2019 Pro. It’s hard to say when, or if, Apple will release another desktop that sits between the current mini and Pro price levels that isn’t an iMac.

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
The Intel transition started with both the consumer and pro notebooks because the PPC was really hurting. For example: My original 2.0 GHz Core Duo MacBook was just as fast rendering video in Final Cut as my Dual 1.8 GHz G5 tower with 2x the RAM.

This time, I think we'll see them start with the consumer machines, MacBook Air and iMac right away, and Pro machines will be a slower transition. Given the decade of painful choices Apple made for it's pro users, they have a lot of trust to earn before the majority of pro users transition. Them nailing it with a 27" Arm based iMac would make me feel a lot more comfortable about buying an Arm based MacBook Pro or MacPro for that matter.

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2017
I think the transition will be smooth and that you do not have to worry for your 16 inches. It will easily last 5+ years.
You have a great machine that has proven strong and efficient.
First ARM models might suffer from early defects. And you will be in the middle of a (controlled) chaos regarding the software.

Reactions: JulienBerthelot

Successful Sorcerer

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2019
Don't worry, the first ARM macs aren't released yet and the MacBook Pros will probably take a while, they start with the lower end machines. I think it takes at least two years before they release a MBP with ARM, after that they'll continue support for at least 3/4 years. Worst case scenario intel will be supported for 5,5 years from now and probably more. They'll definitely be usable after that just not with the latest OS.

Reactions: Mr. Heckles

arch1t3cton

macrumors member
May 24, 2018
This is literally the same event as intel -> Apple silicone. Makes me worried about intel Macs.

My thoughts exactly!
[automerge]1592996183[/automerge]
I do. Bought a 17" PowerBook G4, loaded. For like $3600 CAD. I think it was 2004 or 2005. The first Intel Macs ate the PowerPC chips for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If I do recall there were some issues with the first generation of Intel Macs. I could have waited for the Intel machines, but Steve had just announced the Intel chips and they didn't become available for some time after they were announced.

I ended up selling that PowerBook a few years later to pick up a BlackBook.

Same! :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Mohamed Kamal

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Why does everyone want to get the latest stuff if you are happy with what you have? when they do change over to Arm it will take time to get it right, The price of non- Arm Mac,s will still hold there price like all Apple stuff. I must say I don, own or want an iPhone or Smartphone.:) And don,t wear a watch :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm kinda worried my computer won't last me long enough
Apple has reiterated that support for current intel machines will be unchanged and new updates to the OS will continue to include intel, i.e., universal 2 binaries.

that I'll miss those new ARM-only features (mostly speed & battery life).
Are you unhappy with the performance now, or the battery life? What are your tasks or usage?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.