Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I just copied an SD card with the Sd card copier on Raspberry pi OS.
And got stuck on the welcome to the Raspberry Pi Desktop picture. What I am doing wrong?
previously I had flashed the os on Etcher but loads of problems with the SSD all these when trying to load the system on the pi
All these Failures
WPA Supplicant
Network Manage
Modem Manager
Loggin service
Avahi m Dns -SD Stack
Trigger happy
Disk Manager
Depend failed for boot
Failed for local file system
Fs error (Device SDA 2)
I had no problems getting it working on USB drives. All done on Twister Os on the Pi with Etcher.
Could there be a problem with the SSD? As you can tell I am a nontech person.:( There are always problems with the Pi, it seems more trouble than it is worth. It is still doing something it will be a miracle if it works. .Checking o disk 70 % completed. that failed.
I tried it on a different SSD no joy. :(

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I assume you are trying to boot from the SSD.

RPis will only boot from drives with 512 or 1024 sector size.
Many modern drives (spinning platter and SSD) are set in the factory for 4096 sector size.

One way to find out the sector size on the SSD is to use gparted

Boot back via the SD card.
Install gparted with the command sudo apt install gparted
Plug the SSD drive back in
Run gparted (it will be under System Tools)
Select Device Information from the View menu
Select your SSD from the dropdown menu at the top right.
What does it say for Sector Size?

I have been having problems booting from some drives but not others, till I noticed the problem with sector size.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I just copied an SD card with the Sd card copier on Raspberry pi OS.
And got stuck on the welcome to the Raspberry Pi Desktop picture. What I am doing wrong?
previously I had flashed the os on Etcher but

I assume you are trying to boot from the SSD.

RPis will only boot from drives with 512 or 1024 sector size.
Many modern drives (spinning platter and SSD) are set in the factory for 4096 sector size.:)

One way to find out the sector size on the SSD is to use gparted

Boot back via the SD card.
Install gparted with the command sudo apt install gparted
Plug the SSD drive back in
Run gparted (it will be under System Tools)
Select Device Information from the View menu
Select your SSD from the dropdown menu at the top right.
What does it say for Sector Size?

I have been having problems booting from some drives but not others, till I noticed the problem with sector size.
I must admit i got gparted after watching this guys video i thought that would work but no such lucky:(
It came up with three lines then went to a still of RaspberryPI :( On a usb it did the same but booted up fine.:)was on the outside of the case.
I got it working with a new wd. m2. i got when i got the Argon ,i just wish the Sd slot .

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
You can't change the underlying sector size. It is fixed to whatever the manufacturer set up, 512, 1024, 4096, etc.
You just have to check what the sector size is on a drive before you start.
I have wasted days trying to boot from drives with the wrong sector size.
Now I know what to look for I was able to find a drive that had the right sector size and get it going.

Works.png

Sector size (bottom left hand corner) 512. Was able to boot from.

DidntWork.png

Sector size 4096. Couldn't get to boot from. Ended up re-formatting and using for storage.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
You can't change the underlying sector size. It is fixed to whatever the manufacturer set up, 512, 1024, 4096, etc.
Now I know what to look for I was able to find a drive that had the right sector size and get it going.

View attachment 1734758

View attachment 1734759

MSector size 4096. Couldn't get to boot from. Ended up re-formatting and using for storage.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Mine is total sectors 250069680 sector size 512 what does it all mean.:rolleyes:119.24 The guy in the video does not mention anything about this. I have tried to open the drive on the PI IT says the drive is not valid?I wanted to put the Pinn os. files in the drive.I have the PI os on a USB Flash drive and it failed ,i see on youtube they say that a lot of USB Flash drives are to slow for using them on a pi.I just put Pinn on a Usb Flash drive it completed the set ,when i tried to boot in to a OS it sis not work.I put Pinn on the SSD and a it could not boot the files up it was taking forever i know it takes sometime to get things up and running on here. I used the PI imager to flash an image it took no time at all .Needless to say that did not work it came up with resizing the file system.it flickered on to the PI imager picture then the flickering thing then nothing.But the drive is flickering as if it is doing something.I have ordered some SD cards 64gb.But would like to use it with SSD,s/The M2 SSD in the Argon case is 240which is working fine but that is new of course.

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk

View attachment 1734758

View attachment 1734759

Sector size 4096. Couldn't get to boot from. Ended up re-formatting and using for storage.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Thanks for that, info:) I keep on doing it but it never fully loads the Os, the furthest I got was a still shot of Raspberry Pi Os with no stuff on it.:( The latest one has UBuntu spinning around,
I know it is not going to load, but I will leave it and see if it moves on.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
More bad news with Pinn OS *error s installed with errors? Why should you get errors when downloading online?
This was on a new SD card.
I checked the card with the FAKEFLASHTEST_ on Windows which I have on an external drive on here Passed. And tried this OS MX-Linux_LXDE_Respin_Beta1.iso
it failed before it could start?:( No SSD,s working on my pi the only one did was an m2 one in the Argon case.
Why does it work every time I use an SDcard?and doing it from the same image? On the SSD it comes up with problems. :(This SSD is doing loads of stuff I can,t see it working though. :(:(

Last edited:

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I have solved the problem I was using this Sabrent 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 3.0 Tool-free External Hard Drive Enclosure. I just typed in Raspberry PI on Amazon and it came up with this Just works through a powered USB port so is not compatible with a Raspberry Pi. I wish I knew that before I bought it. :(it is too late to send it back now.:( I had a powered drive case it worked fine.:) All that time I wasted to get it to work with the Sabrent enclosure. :(

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I have used powered USB hubs to get things like that to work. Also useful if you want to have more than one USB device plugged in at once.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I have used powered USB hubs to get things like that to work. Also useful if you want to have more than one USB device plugged in at once.
Yes, that is so true, :)Now I want an SD card reader that I can use to boot up the pi,
as I have quite a few Sd cards. And the Argon one M2 Sd card slot is hidden inside the case.:( I wish had bought a case without the M2 slot.:( I have a powered extension hub. I will have to leave the bottom part unscrewed. I had a pi3 Argon case and swooped the bottom of it over to my Pi4 case. I wish I had got the one without the M2 slot and saved myself 17 pounds after all you can use SSD,s with an adapter. I could sell the M2 bottom and the M2 240 drive 240 is too much for a Pi os. I have two 128 SSD,s. I think it is a rip-off having to pay all that extra money to have a drive in the unit plus the fact you can,t use the SD slot with the bottom on.

Last edited:

dimme

macrumors 68040
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
I was under the impression that all ssd's need power to run on the pi. Am I correct or can the pi power a ssd from the usb port.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I was under the impression that all ssd's need power to run on the pi. Am I correct or can the pi power a ssd from the usb port.

I have run both my RPi 3 & 4 successfully from a good quality SSD (Samsung T3) being powered directly from the RPi USB port.
I cannot speak for all SSDs.

Reactions: dimme

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I have run both my RPi 3 & 4 successfully from a good quality SSD (Samsung T3) being powered directly from the RPi USB port.
I cannot speak for all SSDs.
Yes I have heard people saying that, but more to the point the problem is USB To SATA Enclosure Adapter
I have the same one as he has in the video Sabbrant which does not work.
I got a chap adapter that works most of the time. I found this out with this guy's exhalant PI Videos
I just wish all distros for the PI were USB boot. After all, they have been going on about USB boot for some time now. I would not buy a 60gb SSD when you can get a 128 one for not a lot more. I would recommend this one
plus the fact it is a UK-based firm.
:) And it is the cheapest one I have seen.:)

Last edited:

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
Don't forget that any drive you wish to boot from, SSD or HDD, will need to have a 512 byte sector size. It won't boot from a 4k sector size drive, unless you boot from the SD card, and then get the system to switch to the other drive.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
Don't forget that any drive you wish to boot from, SSD or HDD, will need to have a 512 byte sector size. It won't boot from a 4k sector size drive, unless you boot from the SD card, and then get the system to switch to the other drive.
Yes i remember you saying that on here earlier .

Reactions: eljanitor

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
I thought about it but so many things can become a headache with the Pi. I think it runs fine off the SD card, just attach a HD for storage. BTW I used a Crucial SSD as an external storage, but the pi occasionally locks up until you unplug the SSD.

Roxy.music

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2019
uk
I thought about it but so many things can become a headache with the Pi. I think it runs fine off the SD card, just attach a HD for storage. BTW I used a Crucial SSD as an external storage, but the pi occasionally locks up until you unplug the SSD.
That is true ,even for people who know what they are doing ,the experts that is. :(

Reactions: eljanitor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.