Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scgf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
Hi. At the weekend I ordered a G5 1.6 with 160GB HDD from the Apple Store UK, and 512MB extra RAM from Crucial.

Since then I have got square eyes from reading everything I could find about why people were choosing G4 dual processors, or G5 2.0 duals, and so on. The more I read, the more I began to feel I had made the wrong choice.

Currently I have an 800MHz G4 iMac - the original 15" FST with SuperDrive. I do all the usual things like use iTunes, iPhoto, copying and creating DVDs using an ADV firewire converter (Canopus ADVC-100), browsing the net, using Office etc..

Obviously the G5 is very over-powered for my needs. I priced up a dual 1.25 PM G4 and the price difference was not that great. I had a play with a DP G4 in my local PCWorld and was very impressed with the responsiveness compared to my iMac - OS X seemed positively lively in comparison. It seemed silly to pay out that sort of money to buy a G4 when I could have a G5 for not much more, over-powered or not.

I got a bit concerned that the 1.6 G5 was not going to be around for long, and is poor value for money compared to the other two machines.

I rang the Apple Store this morning and cancelled my order. I then went on line and ordered a 1.8 G5, Apple 17" display, and 2 x 256MB memory modules from Crucial to take the memory up to 1GHz.

As a teacher I got the education price which saved me a couple of hundred pounds.

At the end of the day the new order cost an extra 220 GBP (319 USD).

I really couldn't stretch to, or justify, the cost of the 2.0 DP G5! My credit card is decidely bruised already - especially since it currently shows *both* G5 machines as debits until Apple credits the amount of the first order!

Do you think I made the right decision? Any comments?

LuvAussies

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2003
Virginia
I think you made a wise move! I considered the 1.6 at first, until I added in the upgrades I'd want, and it was about the same price.

You get twice the RAM, twice the hard drive, and a faster processor and bus. It should last you longer!

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I think you made a great choice. If you add it up, the two are practically the same price, but with the 1.8 you get a faster processor, a faster Bus, PCI-X, and those extras which you wouldn't get with the 1.6, plus, it does look like the 1.6 will be fading out pretty soon, especially if they do add dual 1.8 or bump the speeds soon. With the prices, it almost seems crazy not to get the 1.8 instead. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.