Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thezachary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
I have a iMac g4 running tiger(10.4.11) and I can’t get it to run leopard. I’ve tried everything: booting from usb solicits an error message that I have to force shutdown my computer. It doesn’t read the dvd and simply ejects it. I even tried partitioning the disk and mounting one partition as the installer, still, no luck. I can get it to boot from a usb drive with the Tiger installer and it works just fine. Please help!

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
What specs? I don't believe the first models are officially supported with Leopard, you have to use a workaround to install them.

Thezachary

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
What specs? I don't believe the first models are officially supported with Leopard, you have to use a workaround to install them.
I am using a later model(PowerMac6,1) with a 1.25 GHz G4 processor and 256md of ram

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Even with 256MB of ram, the Leopard installer would still boot from DVD. It would complain about needing more ram, but it would still boot the installation environment.
So, either the DVD is bad or your drive is.
Nonetheless, don’t install Leopard without upgrading the ram. I’m just saying that the lack of ram is NOT the reason for the problem you’re experiencing. As for booting USB, I’ve had horrible luck getting Leopard to boot off USB. Some people have gotten it to work. I don’t see the point while FireWire exists though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.