Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Is there any rational reason for this not being possible? How come Apple didn't make a pencil functioning for both? I absolutely despise Apple's business strategy. It seriously stinks. I never even imagined it wouldn't be possible to use the pencil with an iPhone. That can only have been done on purpose imo. It's in the same category like the Magic Mouse not being useable when being charged with a wire, or the even older Magic Mouse working on certain iPads but you couldn't scroll up and down with it.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Reason? Forced differentiation of product functionalities, then engineer the product in a way that‘s otherwise very costly to implement otherwise. High way or Apple way. Always has been since their inception (maybe except Apple I and Apple II, those were extremely user friendly).

rachislenska

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
The use case of an iPad is already very limited with MacBook Air being so portable, full OS and much better battery life compared to an iPad.If Apple Pencil works with an iPhone pro, how many apart from hardcore fans who need every product apple makes will genuinely find a reason to get an iPad? just serious artists and maybe as a mobile video player?
Just a case of forced product differentiation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.