Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I think my friends phones/autocorrect infected my phone! I noticed in group chats my friend's would text me I.d.o.n.t. instead of I don't and now my phone does it!

Weird stuff indeed.

• Haha
Reactions: DeepIn2U

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Why is it so consistently difficult to type "face"? It seems to favor the V over the C every time. Is fave even a word? The red squiggly line Windows just put under it in this message says no.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
c2bdbcfdb1763783ecf69ef08bbde741.jpg 6d69215cbdff66cec0763fc56e2bc6734342b67bf05d3bd6cee62e7828f592a6_facebook.jpg

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah I don’t understand how autocorrect seems to have gotten worse over the years. What gives.

Not only that, but in the last couple years so many apps, including safari, have started to go nuts zipping to the top or bottom of a page/field when you try to move the selection handle. It’s just awful.

Reactions: TH55

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
It’s far from perfect and needs work. By now with AL it should be much better than what it is. Seems as though Apple has stopped improving it

Just to mention Androi is even worse with this

mizmimi02

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2014
Midwest
I have been having some auto correct issues on my Max lately. It's just random stuff mostly, but the other issue that bugs the MESS out of me is when I type can't or don't, I almost never get the ' and instead just get a space. Also I have noticed that when I am in notes and trying to delete a word, I get a weird mispelling. For instance, I was making a short list for a recipe and had written down Spaghetti noodles. When I went back to correct it to Angel hair pasta, I backspaced to delete spaghetti and I ended up with SAngel hair pasta in my auto correct suggestion. This happens every time I try to backspace delete, but does not happen if I highlight the whole word and delete it. Or I typed Large dog food, but wanted to change it to just Dog food, and when I backspaced I ended up with LDog food. So it's recognizing the first letter in a word I deleted, and suggesting it as a new word with what I'm trying to replace it with. I dunno. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with my phone.

Mylo130

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
It seemed worse than in the past to me as well. I turned off the “Apple Dictionary” in settings, and it appears to have helped a bit. ‍

Reactions: mizmimi02

mizmimi02

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2014
Midwest
It seemed worse than in the past to me as well. I turned off the “Apple Dictionary” in settings, and it appears to have helped a bit. ‍

I didn't think of that, it's certainly worth a shot. Thanks for the tip.
ETA: It was also suggested for me to reset the keyboard dictionary, so I did that as well. I guess I need to peruse settings more often, as I didn't even know there was such a setting. :)

Last edited:

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Yeah I don’t understand how autocorrect seems to have gotten worse over the years. What gives.

Not only that, but in the last couple years so many apps, including safari, have started to go nuts zipping to the top or bottom of a page/field when you try to move the selection handle. It’s just awful.
Yes select and copy paste suck too

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I must say my auto correct constantly thinks I intend on typing abd instead of and. Really frustrating!

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
I hate it. The one thing that irritates me is when it auto cap a word but when I add a new word before it, it still keeps that other word capitalized.

Apple just need to redo the entire autocorrect and keyboard with a smarter AI...but they wouldn't.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I know this thread was started when pleiosaurs roamed the earth and autocorrect hasn't improved much (if at all) over the eons — but I have tried typing with it off a few times, and as bad as iOS autocorrect is, (and it is bad) typing out text without it is even worse— I always turn it back on.

So don't think how bad it is — think how good it is compared to nothing

punchdrunk55

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2010
refreshing this once again. Has anyone noticed that it's gotten really bad recently? My phone is constantly correcting well to we'll. last to past
Why are you correcting regularly used words to other words? Let me make the decisions!

Reactions: TH55 and Falhófnir

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
refreshing this once again. Has anyone noticed that it's gotten really bad recently? My phone is constantly correcting well to we'll. last to past
Why are you correcting regularly used words to other words? Let me make the decisions!
It’s absolutely terrible.

Reactions: Falhófnir

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Sorry OP, the team has moved on to working on AI for self driving cars. If you're unhappy with it, switch to a different OS. Where you gonna go? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.