Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chris331

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Hi, I recently installed kali linux without knowing what i was doing. I deleted KL shortly after but when I went to delete the partition (after erasing it clean), it wouldn’t let me click the “-“ to remove.
Also when I went to search terminal for “diskutil cs list” it says no CoreStorage Found.

What did I do?

Chris331

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2019
Try:
Code:
diskutil list

Then copy and paste from the Terminal window, and post the complete output here.

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 269.4 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

4: Apple_HFS KL 49.7 GB disk0s4

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Fishrrman's "100% absolutely positively guaranteed" way to get that space back:

1. Get an external drive
2. Get CarbonCopyCloner (FREE to download and use for 30 days)
3. Use CCC to clone the contents of your Mac boot partition to the external drive (and recovery partition, too, if CCC asks)
4. BOOT UP from the cloned backup
5. Open Disk Utility and ERASE your internal drive -- NUKE IT back to nuthin'.
6. Now, open CCC again and RE-clone the contents of the backup BACK TO the internal drive.

Do this, and the Linux partition will vanish, and you'll be back where you started from...

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *320.1 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 269.4 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

4: Apple_HFS KL 49.7 GB disk0s4
The order of the partitions shown in that listing is preventing the removal of the "KL" volume (#4).

The Apple_Boot volume in slot #3 named "Recovery HD") prevents anything else from being merged to the Apple_HFS volume in slot #2 (Macintosh HD). Since the only way a partition can be removed is by merging its space with an adjacent partition, the one in slot #4 is effectively isolated. It can be reformatted to HFS+ or other formats, but it can't be removed. It could be split into 2 partitions, and those could then be used or merged, but you've got a 49.7 GB island that can't be merged with anything else.

Use the info in post #4 to copy the data to another drive, then erase the drive with "KL" on it. A note about that: Be sure to enable "Show all devices" using the "View" dropdown in Disk Utility. If the mode is "Show only volumes", you won't be able to select the entire drive to erase it. Here's a summary, with screenshots:
https://blog.macsales.com/45330-dis...he-mystery-of-those-empty-unformatted-drives/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.