Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukasamd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
Hello,
I updated my MBP 2015 to High Sierra (I also used beta versions) and had a problem with twice-login screen. First login was for FileVault and used my old password, second was "right" login screen.

I decided to turn off FileVault and encrypt disk again. Turning FileVault helped, becuase now I have only one, correct login screen. Unfortunately, I can't encrypt FileVault again because of error:

"Authentication server failed to complete the requested operation"

No idea what''s wrong. I don't use AD server or something similar (related to other FV issues described on forums). Don't want to make fresh install, because a lot of configuration and everything except FV works fine.

Ss88ZEG.png

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I decided to turn off FileVault and encrypt disk again.
It sounds like as part of a clean install you used Disk Util to format the disk to APFS encrypted, then did the install? Is that correct?

If you did, that is the problem. You want to format the just APFS (not encrypted) then install... then turn on FileVault and let it encrypt. When you turn on FileVault like this it makes some system boot process changes that are not getting done properly by you formatting encrypted first.

lukasamd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
@Weaselboy No. Disk has been converted to APFS when I started use High Sierra Beta (6 or 7?). Automatically, during beta installation and without troubles. After that system said that I must set new password - so I changed password for iCloud, but FileVault still used my old password (it was reason for twice-login screen). Then I quit beta program and use stable release now with last updates. I didn't make clean install. I fixed twice-login by disabling FileVault.

Now I have unencrypted disk (it's available without encryption password from recovery, etc.), eveything works fine, but I can't enable FileVault again.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
There was another thread on here where another user @LarryJoe33 I believe, had a similar error message and he also had been on the betas. I wonder if it is something that is left over on there from the betas causing this?

lukasamd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2016
Maybe.. but I don't know how "restore default settings" without fresh install. I don't want lost my apps configurations.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
There was another thread on here where another user @LarryJoe33 I believe, had a similar error message and he also had been on the betas. I wonder if it is something that is left over on there from the betas causing this?
Thanks for looking out me. I will try the solution once I understand exactly what it was. Changing iCloud PW or figure out some underlying user with Admin privileges I am unaware of using terminal. It's unclear to me after a quick look whether he changed his iCloud PW and it fixed or the latter?

Off to Bruno Mars, gf would shoot me if I start ***** with my machine right now, although I would be lying if I said I didn't want to solve it and start the encryption process.

Reactions: Weaselboy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.