Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vmflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2021
I just have bought a 2002 eMac and I wanted to start reinstalling Mac OS X on this thing but I have the damn Firmware Password. I have connected the Windows USB keyboard to it (since this is the only wired keyboard I have at moment) and tried performing the PRAM reset - didn’t do anything, as well as tried booting off the Mac OS X Install DVD while holding the C key and removing the password from “Reset password” utility - didn’t boot, as well as I also tried booting into Single User Mode - I hit Win+S (I assume Win=Cmd) - didn’t boot into SU Mode… Is there anything I could do to get rid of the Firmware Password? Thanks!

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013

Reactions: vmflame

vmflame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2021
Hello!
I tried again - I purchased a new PRAM battery and a new RAM slot
Performed a PRAM reset (win+alt+P+R) - doesn’t do anything

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
Hello!
I tried again - I purchased a new PRAM battery and a new RAM slot
Performed a PRAM reset (win+alt+P+R) - doesn’t do anything

Why did you purchase a new RAM "slot"? I don't think it will help solve your issue of the Open Firmware Protection password. Of course, unless the one in your mac is damaged and needs a replacement.

The Open Firmware Protection can't be reset by resetting PRAM alone. If it was that easy, it would be too weak to be useful. In Apple's idea the Open Firmware Protection can only be reset in two occasions.

1. By the person who knows the password.
2. Or by the person who can access the internal of the Mac.

Since you don't know the password. The option 2 is your exit.

To reset Open Firmware password for a PowerPC Mac without knowing the password, follow these steps:

1. Turn off your Mac.

2. Change the amount of RAM in your Mac by removing or adding a RAM stick, or, if the Mac has only one stick installed, replacing it with another one that has different capacity. Replacing the RAM stick with a new one with the same capacity does no good, since the amount of RAM is still the same.

3. Immediately after changing the amount of RAM. Turn the Mac on and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys to reset PRAM. You need to hear the bong/chime at least three times (the video in the link below suggests four) before lifting your fingers and let it boot normally.

BTW, If, after changing the amount of RAM, you let the Mac boot normally instead of resetting PRAM, then you will have to turn it off and change the RAM's amount again.

This is a video demoing the process to reset it on an iBook G4.

Last edited:

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
I have connected the Windows USB keyboard to it

Using a PC keyboard adds another layer of complexity. If you have another working Mac, try to figure out for sure which keys to press to do the PRAM reset, e.g., Windows or Ctrl key for Command.

I've found some keyboards' modifier keys on the right side didn't work for performing start up options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.