Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006
im just trying to record on guitar pro with a cheap studio mic and i plugged it into the macbook and i cant get it to pick up anysound....i turned off the built in mic and tried to turn on the line in one how do i get this work?

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
andrewface said:
im just trying to record on guitar pro with a cheap studio mic and i plugged it into the macbook and i cant get it to pick up anysound....i turned off the built in mic and tried to turn on the line in one how do i get this work?
that annoyed me a lottttttt. I used a mac mini w/ external soundcard, and a G4, and neither of them worked. In the end, I had to use a, which everyone bashes. $%^&*

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
did you get as far as this bit?

from the primer said:
though the mac audio-in port does have a mic pre built-in, it is accessible through an apple proprietary connector called PlainTalk. it seems this connector is longer than a standard 1/8" plug and can access the mic pre's phantom power. therefore, plugging in an OTS condenser microphone, with an XLR to 1/8" adapter, won't work.

andrewface

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2006
well i guess my next question is what is the best cheapest way to record to the mac then?

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
andrewface said:
well i guess my next question is what is the best cheapest way to record to the mac then?
let's start with this:
what kind of mic have you got now?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
The built in MacBook (Pro and non pro) soundcard has NO Mic preamp built in as far as I can tell. It is a line in only (mics need about 35-40 dB input boost in order to get anything out of them at all. You could get a cheapo mic preamp and connect it to the line in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.