Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spodoor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2018
Hi guys, I have a bit of a concern. I just recently bought a Brand New Macbook Air 11". It's a late 2015 model. Authorized retailers here in my country sells it for a really low price.

The laptop is good and all, but I don't think the build quality is that good.

First off, when I checked the "About this Mac", there is already 2 cycle counts with the battery. Although, I think this is normal.

Secondly, the aluminum frame in the bottom makes a very tiny creaking sound when I try to flex it. I know it's nitpicking, but I'm expecting a bit more from a MacBook.

Third, I can move the plastic hinge left to right, thus making some noises.

Fourth, I can't open it with one hand. I can open it a certain degree, then the bottom part would lift already. I can open it fully if I continue with it, but it's quite disturbing that the bottom part would lift when I do it.

To add a little more with my concern. I don't think Apple makes good quality products anymore. I have both an iPhone SE and an iPhone 5s. The buttons in my 5s are better and more tactile than that of the SE. The SE buttons are quite wobbly. Also, the included Earpods from the iPhone SE has wobbly buttons as well. I'm not really complaining on this, I just want to share it with you guys. I would rather have these quite wobbly buttons than give the factory workers a really hard time with manufacturing tolerance.

I hope you guys can give me a good discussion, or clear up my mind.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Authorized retailers here in my country sells it for a really low price.

Are you sure this thing is legit? It's often been said there is no cheap (real) MacBooks.

If you in the U.S., this is really simple, take it to an Apple store and they will make adjustment for you, or replace until ur happy.

What u describe is unacceptable for a new Mac, if vendor is not able to address it, or give you excuses, I'd return and try another vendor.

Spodoor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2018
Are you sure this thing is legit? It's often been said there is no cheap (real) MacBooks.

If you in the U.S., this is really simple, take it to an Apple store and they will make adjustment for you, or replace until ur happy.

What u describe is unacceptable for a new Mac, if vendor is not able to address it, or give you excuses, I'd return and try another vendor.

I live in the Philippines, and unfortunately, there is no Apple Store here. All we have are Authorized Retailers. The retailer I bought from is Beyond the Box. They sell it for PHP 34,990. Their competitor, the most known retailer in my country, Power Mac Center, sells it for PHP 35,990. They are <$700 when converted.

I verified the serial number, and it's a legit brand new.

I don't know if I can return it to my retailer, since it's been more than a week with me already, and they are very strict with returns. (Good aftersales service doesn't apply here in my country).

When we have Apple Products here that are not bought from Authorized Retailers, we have them RMA to Apple Singapore. I don't know if it applies to this one

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Can always try to DIY yourself adjusting the hinges, for folks who are comfortable doing this and disassembly. Some YouTuber have done it am 100% sure. Can't help with the flex.

Reactions: Spodoor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.