Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
Basically, I'm trying to get Office 2008 Beta on a third Mac (all Macs are running 10.12.6 or 10.14.6). What I've done in the past is just copy and paste the Microsoft Office 2008 Beta folder from one Mac to another. It works totally fine from this prior setup. (For reference, I do also have newer versions of Office installed on both computers, in addition to the copy/pasted Office 2008 Beta.)

However, when I try this method to put Office 2008 Beta on the 3rd Mac (10.14.6) in the Applications folder and then launching PowerPoint, it gives me the following error:

Dyld Error Message: Library not loaded: @rpath/MicrosoftMenuLibrary.framework/Versions/14/MicrosoftMenuLibrary Referenced from: /private/var/folders/*/Microsoft PowerPoint.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft PowerPoint Reason: image not found

There's another folder inside Office 2008 Beta called "Office" that has a bunch of framework files, including the one that it's failing to successfully call, but my setup seems identical on both computers—aside from having other Microsoft Office versions installed, but those support libraries don't seem to have any references to Office 2008—and yet I can't get PowerPoint to launch.

Any suggestions (besides saying "get newer version of Office"; I have reasons for using this)?

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
You do realize your running Fourteen year old software that was only meant to operate on one machine at a time ❓

And it's a Beta not the consumer released version.

Lou

Reactions: retta283

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Why even mess with an Office 2008 beta? Office 2008 out of the box was authorized to be used on all the computers you own and did not require activation. It just makes no sense to run an old beta of it. Please enlighten us.

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
Are the other two machines both running 10.12.6? Because it could be that the beta version of Office 2008 simply doesn't work on Mojave.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
@Everyone: I just realized I also have Office 2008 (normal version, non-beta) but I am having the same issues: when I copy it over to one of the other computers I own, it simply does not work and gives the same error I described. And yes, the reason I am using 2008 software is because, quite frankly, it still works fine (when the app opens anyways, haha) for creating and editing most Office documents—especially since it supports the .***x formats. And I don't want to buy a 365 subscription or pay again for software that I quite frankly don't even like but have to use sometimes.

And @salamanderjuice: that's what I thought too, but I have 2008 beta on a Mojave machine and it actually does work fine. So, my 12.6 machine runs it fine, and one of my Mojave machines runs it fine. It's the third computer (also Mojave) that for whatever reason is not working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.