Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreeneyes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Gatineau,Canada
i have a synology NAS, and i have several folders that i have mounted on my desktop as AFP,
and if i click on one of the mounted fodlers and in the finder window do a search for a file it can't find anything.

i made sure to have any indexing done on my NAS.

any ideas?

jamietshaw

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
UK
Same. It's not in Spotlight’s index, so it just doesn‘t bother to show anything. Really annoying. I end up using Terminal, which is hardly a user-friendly method!
Bash:
find /Volumes/media -name "spider-man"

jamietshaw

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
UK
PS You’ll get a neater screenshot with the built-in tools. Either:
  • Make the Finder window visible, open Preview and go to File > Take Screenshot > From Window, then click on the Finder window.
  • Make the Finder window visible, open Screenshot and choose the option to take a screenshot of a window, then click on the Finder window.
  • Press Cmd-Shift-4, then Spacebar, and click on the Finder window.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Works for me although I am likely using SMB. Is there a reason you are using AFP rather than SMB since it has been deprecated?

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 3.28.17 PM.png

What version of DSM are you running?

Screen Shot 2022-09-01 at 3.33.20 PM.png

mrgreeneyes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Gatineau,Canada
PS You’ll get a neater screenshot with the built-in tools. Either:
  • Make the Finder window visible, open Preview and go to File > Take Screenshot > From Window, then click on the Finder window.
  • Make the Finder window visible, open Screenshot and choose the option to take a screenshot of a window, then click on the Finder window.
  • Press Cmd-Shift-4, then Spacebar, and click on the Finder window.
i prefer using my method but thanks for the tip.

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
Spotlight can search the NAS, but it is extremely slow as there is no index for it to work with. If you're in the directory with the file you're looking for, it will come up fairly quickly. If, however, you start at another level or the root of you share, be prepared to wait a while for search results.

If you are on DSM 7, you can enable Universal Search and it will index the drive and it will work with Spotlight in Finder to locate files on the NAS very quickly. Here is a video that shows you how to set up Universal Search.

mrgreeneyes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Gatineau,Canada
Spotlight can search the NAS, but it is extremely slow as there is no index for it to work with. If you're in the directory with the file you're looking for, it will come up fairly quickly. If, however, you start at another level or the root of you share, be prepared to wait a while for search results.

If you are on DSM 7, you can enable Universal Search and it will index the drive and it will work with Spotlight in Finder to locate files on the NAS very quickly. Here is a video that shows you how to set up Universal Search.

i have universal search set up, and it still doesnt find anything when i am searching for something.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
i have universal search set up, and it still doesnt find anything when i am searching for something.
In my experience, Spotlight will often miss things. EasyFind will show anything you search for, and if set up correctly, it will show the path to the target file(s) at the bottom of the search window. Clicking on the enclosing folder will give you immediate access to search target. This app can be set up in many ways, to include even hidden files. Highly recommended.
EasyFindExample.jpg

mrgreeneyes

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Gatineau,Canada
In my experience, Spotlight will often miss things. EasyFind will show anything you search for, and if set up correctly, it will show the path to the target file(s) at the bottom of the search window. Clicking on the enclosing folder will give you immediate access to search target. This app can be set up in many ways, to include even hidden files. Highly recommended. View attachment 2050097
how do you have it show the path at the bottom? i dont see an option to have that shown.

doobydoooby

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Genève, Switzerland
Hi, sorry I can't help you with suggestions how to fix it but there must be something in your setup that is causing this to occur. I have a NAS connected via SMB (its WD, not synology) and I can search for files on it via finder in the same manner as any other location.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
if i uncheck AFP, then some of my shared folders don't appear if i try to mount them as SMB

The next thing to try would be to un-share the folder and re-share with AFP disabled. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a way to unshare a folder without deleting it.

Copying a small existing shared folder to a different folder and sharing it was my next thought. Unfortunately the same thing happens - sharing a folder creates a new folder.

Evidently you can't separate sharing from creating/deleting the folder.

The only option to test things seems to be to create a new shared folder without AFP then copy the content into the new folder to see if the new folder works with only SMB enabled.

Reelmower

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2019
I am in a similar boat. My searches are extremely slow if I mount the drive with smb, but very fast with AFP. Spotlight search does not work at all when I use SMB. This is on a brand new M2 MacBook pro. I have had AFP turned off on my synology nas as long as I can remember. I only turned it on because I saw this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.