Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
So, my iPad 3 is acting up. First off, I just freshly restored it, signed into iCloud, and tried to restore from a back up. That failed because it said "Unable to restore backup". So I did just lose everything in those backups including some semi-important messages. But anyway. I set it up as a new iPad, logged into iCloud and all that good stuff, but when I went to settings, and iCloud, in the storage and backup section it's turned off and every time i switch it on it pops up a black diolauge that says "turning on iCloud Backup" and then quits the settings app. I've restored and reset this thing like 3 times already! Any help?

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Seems like a tough one... Easy advice first, visit an apple store if u have 1 next to your place and talk to a genius..

Next advice.. Try doing a restore via DFU... Then set it up as a new.. Then toggle the iCloud backup on... Wait for the "turning on iCloud backup" to go... Wait 1 min then... Don't close settings app, instead just go to the previous page... Then go back to the iCloud page, see if it's still on... If it's not, toggle again and go back and come back.. Once it stays on, backup ur device...

Then again restore ur device, this time directly from the settings, restore from the old backup (not the latest backup)

If it still says unable to restore, it means that the old backup was larger than the space available to u in iCloud, and ur device isn't backed up fully, in other words, incomplete backup...

So next time u backup, keep a safety backup on iTunes , every few months ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.