Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terra

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I downloaded el capitan, installed it successfully, restarted the computer but it still says 10.8.5...any suggestions..?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you downloaded El Capitan from Apple's current link, you get a disk image, which you run to open, where you will find an installer package. Open that installer package, and you can THEN install: the installer app for El Capitan. I'm pretty sure that's where you are right now, with the installer app copied to your drive. That's all the installer does at that point..

Now, if you look in your Applications folder, you will find an app named: Install OS X El Capitan.
I suggest that you save THAT app somewhere on an external drive (so you have it if you need it again).
Now that you have the installer app, you have several choices for using that app.
You can just run the app, which will do the system upgrade install (and you will then have upgraded to El Capitan.
You can use the app to create a bootable USB installer (which works very nicely, without being affected by the system that you are currently booted to...)

Reactions: MBAir2010
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.