Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Casei Solus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
I tried changing "Backspace/Delete" to go back on Safari. It was suggested to me, so I tried it a few days ago and it worked. It did not replace the Command+[ Safari shortcut, the "Backspace/Delete" works in addition to Command+[. So I tried using "Backspace/Delete" to go back for a while and I absolutely hate it. I want to go back to "Backspace/Delete" just working on text on Safari, like normal, like it is by default.

I remembered that it involved some setting somewhere in the depths of some Mac menu, but I can't remember where it was.

All the tutorials I found involved changing it so the "Backspace/Delete" DOES go back, not how to undo it, and it involves the Terminal, and I don't think I went to the Terminal to change it before.

My Mac is a MacBook Pro, 13-inch, 2018, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports. It has a 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, with a Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB, and for Memory it has 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3. My Safari is Version 16.6 (18615.3.12.11.2).

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Select "Back" and click on the minus sign in Keyboard - Keyboard Shortcuts- App Shortcuts – Safari
Back.jpg
https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/mchlp2271/mac

From Terminal
Code:
defaults delete com.apple.Safari NSUserKeyEquivalents
deletes all user added shortcuts for Safari

Casei Solus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
Thank you! I put that in Terminal, and I went and checked on that Shortcuts panel, but the Terminal came back saying "Nothing Found," and I didn't see a Safari section in the App Shortcuts for some reason.

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 12.53.57 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 12.54.24 AM.png

And I checked to see if Backspace/Delete was disconnected from back on Safari, and it still went back. I really must have borked it something good x.x

Casei Solus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
I only have two Shortcuts active, and here's screenshots of all my Automator stuff.

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 1.16.26 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 1.17.37 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 1.17.46 AM.png

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I only have two Shortcuts active,
So, it’s not through the Shortcuts app.

and here's screenshots of all my Automator stuff.

Those are just default Automator actions, user created services/QuickActions are saved in ~/Library/Services
(Go to a folder by entering its pathname https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/mchlp1236/13.0/mac/13.0)
And check Keyboard - Keyboard Shortcuts – Services.

Could you please run in Terminal

Code:
defaults read ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist NSUserKeyEquivalents

It doesn’t add or delete anything, it just reads if any shortcut is saved in Safari’s new preference file.
Since Safari 12, NSUserKeyEquivalents has been the only way I know to set Backspace as Back https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/backspace-key-as-back-button-in-safari-12-and-above.2175062/

Casei Solus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
Okay, I did as instructed, here's the results for

Automator in Services:

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 2.49.38 AM.png

Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts >Services

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 2.46.01 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 2.46.10 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 2.46.22 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 2.46.31 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 2.46.39 AM.png

And this is what comes back in Terminal:

Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 2.47.08 AM.png

I can't thank you enough for your patience! It still does the backspace goes back on Safari, I'm sorry!

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I am out of ideas.
Have you tried to logout/restart your Mac? Sometimes the values written in preferences get stuck.

Casei Solus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
I will try that later tonight, thank you so much for all your help and ideas and patience!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
If you somehow can find the history of you visiting that tutorial site, you can post the site address here. Someone might be able to figure out how to undo the damage.

ab22

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
I did see that Terminal wasn't used to enable the change : but let's make sure that the basic setting wasn't altered somehow.

The following Terminal command reads a setting (if it exists) which if set to 1 will enable Backspace 'Back' navigation - as the name suggests.

defaults read com.apple.Safari WebKitPreferences.backspaceKeyNavigationEnabled

for example - mine currently gives this result

a@Ab2 ~ % defaults read com.apple.Safari WebKitPreferences.backspaceKeyNavigationEnabled 1 a@Ab2 ~ %

and the Backspace key works as 'Back' each time it's pressed, whilst the keyboard shortcut ⌘ [ operates as normal.

Restoring standard function is simple :

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitPreferences.backspaceKeyNavigationEnabled 0

Quit Safari to make sure any changes are reflected.

Last edited:

Casei Solus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
I am out of ideas.
Have you tried to logout/restart your Mac? Sometimes the values written in preferences get stuck.

I tried restarting my Mac, but it didn't seem to work. But thank you so much for suggesting it!

I did see that Terminal wasn't used to enable the change : but let's make sure that the basic setting wasn't altered somehow.

The following Terminal command reads a setting (if it exists) which if set to 1 will enable Backspace 'Back' navigation - as the name suggests.

defaults read com.apple.Safari WebKitPreferences.backspaceKeyNavigationEnabled

for example - mine currently gives this result

a@Ab2 ~ % defaults read com.apple.Safari WebKitPreferences.backspaceKeyNavigationEnabled 1 a@Ab2 ~ %

and the Backspace key works as 'Back' each time it's pressed, whilst the keyboard shortcut ⌘ [ operates as normal.

Restoring standard function is simple :

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitPreferences.backspaceKeyNavigationEnabled 0

Quit Safari to make sure any changes are reflected.

That fixed most of it, I think, it doesn't automatically ALWAYS go back when I press Backspace. However, if the page I was just on was from the same site, it DOES go back for some reason.

For instance, if I go Gmail to Youtube (different site), it won't go back, which is good! But if I go Youtube to Youtube video (same site), it does go back.

That's so weird. But it is better!

ab22

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
It is weird, yes. Are there any extensions active in Safari ?; does the problem persist in a new or Guest user account ?.

& maybe try the following in case there's some other 'preference' active with a similar name / function

defaults read com.apple.Safari | grep backspace

(that reads everything in com.apple.safari & searches for lines that include 'backspace')

Casei Solus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
When I go to a Guest User Account, it doesn't go back! That's something!

And this is all that pops up when I put in that command:

screencap 2023-08-16 at 8.03.48 PM.jpg

ab22

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
No obvious backspace navigations there, although depnding on version, I think Adguard can run javascript & therefore do 'Back'. You might try disabling them either in that list or the (optional from Safari-Settings-Advanced) Develop menu - Disable Extensions.

Other than that - as Shirasaki suggsted - some more clues about what was done would be good.

Casei Solus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
I'm trying to find the video, I've been combing my history for it. x.x

And I tried the Disable Extensions, and it still went back. What in the world did I do x.x

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.