Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
I went to my local T-Mobile store and converted my iPhone 11 Pro Max from using a physical SIM card to an eSIM. The folks behind the counter fumbled a bit, but finally got my eSIM up and running and removed my physical SIM card. The day after that, we lost power in our home. It was a partial power loss, but we lost the modem and therefore lost WiFi. To my surprise, I was unable to use cellular data on my iPhone. It was as if I didn't even have it turned on, which I did. I tried a hard reboot, turned off WiFi and turned it back on. No WiFi, so that didn't do anything. Called the local T-Mobile office. They suggested resetting the Network settings. I did that. Didn't work. Called T-Mobile main line. Talked to tech support. They couldn't help and put in a help ticket. It was very frustrating that I didn't have cellular when my wife's iPhone XR was fine. Her phone could access cellular data. The next day, I was still frustrated. Power was back, but I still had this issue that needed to be fixed. I was finally able to fix it using the following technique.
1. Turn off WiFi on the iPhone.
2. Do a hard reset on the iPhone.
Once the iPhone came back up, it saw the cellular data. Now I can turn off WiFi and use cellular data. Not that I want to, but if I lose WiFi, it's nice to have the cellular data. Or, if I am out and about, I'll need the cellular data.

CodeSpyder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Orlando, FL
Just carious as to why you switched from a physical SIM to an eSIM?
I figured that an eSIM would work from iPhone to iPhone whereas a physical SIM may have to be changed out from time to time. Also, wanted to make sure I was 5G compatible.

Reactions: edk99

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
I figured that an eSIM would work from iPhone to iPhone whereas a physical SIM may have to be changed out from time to time. Also, wanted to make sure I was 5G compatible.
Not super experienced with this. The eSim swap from phone to phone how is that done? Do I need carrier to do it every time? If so, I’ll stay with physical sim. I find that most of the time I can do things faster than their reps can also anything to avoid having to go in to a physical store or call them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.