Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stoopy007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2018
I used migration assistant to transfer my old and very dead macs hard drive to a MacBook Pro 15”. All seemed to be going well until I forgot my admin password so I changed it in safe mode. Now it wants my keychain password for multiple sign ins and I don’t remember it. Without it it seems I can’t get any further after logging into my Mac. I can’t get past the requests for the keychain password which I don’t know. Is there a way to change the keychain password without accessing my applications folder? If not what are my options?

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I used migration assistant to transfer my old and very dead macs hard drive to a MacBook Pro 15”. All seemed to be going well until I forgot my admin password so I changed it in safe mode. Now it wants my keychain password for multiple sign ins and I don’t remember it. Without it it seems I can’t get any further after logging into my Mac. I can’t get past the requests for the keychain password which I don’t know. Is there a way to change the keychain password without accessing my applications folder? If not what are my options?
I might be (and probably am) wrong, but I think if you have an iPhone you can change the keychain password with your passcode.... maybe.. Scroll to the bottom.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201609

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Your keychain password was the same as your admin password unless you previously changed it. Did you try using your new admin password that you set? If that doesn't work, you may have to delete the keychain and start over.

Stoopy007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2018
Your keychain password was the same as your admin password unless you previously changed it. Did you try using your new admin password that you set? If that doesn't work, you may have to delete the keychain and start over.
I tried using the new password I set to log in but after it starts logging in I get messages requesting I enter the login keychain and that’s where I get stuck because I don’t know it. I can’t get past this point so I can
Yeah the new password worked but because I don’t know the old keychain I can’t get anywhere after logging in. I deleted and I’m going to reformat and try migrating the old harddrive again. Hopefully there’s a way to change the keychain of my old harddrive before migrating it again...

TinHead88

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
If you don't know the master password for the old keychain you will not be able to recover it and will have to create a new one. This would only affect passwords so it shouldn't matter all that much.

Reactions: MareLuce

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
In the future, I would suggest WRITING DOWN the passwords you use on paper, and then store it somewhere safe...

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Unless there's important information in the old keychain that you don't have anywhere else, and you need in order to continue working, then the simplest solution may be to create a new login keychain:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201609

You can keep the old keychain file around if you want, in case you remember its password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.