Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retroworldnews

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2019
I don't know is it my ears play trick or what. I check the M3 iMac vs old iMac is not that thick version one.
I test both iMac play the same music video. I notice the old iMac sound better epic than the new M3 iMac?

I double check the speakers etc all same settings. I wonder anyone noticed? Is that normal?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I double check the speakers etc all same settings. I wonder anyone noticed? Is that normal?
You didn't specify what you're comparing against, other then saying an old iMac, is it the prior model, s it the bondi blue iMac?

As for the sound differences, its very likely that the sound is going to be different just due to the design differences between computer models.

Also it's conceivable that even with the same computer models, the sound (and display) will be noticeably different due to minor variations in the components and assembly.

Retroworldnews

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2019
You didn't specify what you're comparing against, other then saying an old iMac, is it the prior model, s it the bondi blue iMac?

As for the sound differences, its very likely that the sound is going to be different just due to the design differences between computer models.

Also it's conceivable that even with the same computer models, the sound (and display) will be noticeably different due to minor variations in the components and assembly.
the old iMac I think is 2015 one.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
If the 2015 iMac is the 27" model, it is expected and known that the 24" iMacs have a generally worse audio system, yes.

However, any dedicated speaker setup is going to blow both of them out of the water anyway. As impressive as Apple's audio within a given design can be, it's still limiting to fit audio into thin devices.

I particularly like the AudioEngine A5+'s. I've been using them for well over a decade so considering longevity they're really rather cheap. I pair them up with a Scarlett 2i2 from Focusrite; But that's not a requirement to get them working. You can just plug them straight into the iMac's audio jack.

It'll sound better than any built-in computer speakers ;)

Retroworldnews

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2019
If the 2015 iMac is the 27" model, it is expected and known that the 24" iMacs have a generally worse audio system, yes.

However, any dedicated speaker setup is going to blow both of them out of the water anyway. As impressive as Apple's audio within a given design can be, it's still limiting to fit audio into thin devices.

I particularly like the AudioEngine A5+'s. I've been using them for well over a decade so considering longevity they're really rather cheap. I pair them up with a Scarlett 2i2 from Focusrite; But that's not a requirement to get them working. You can just plug them straight into the iMac's audio jack.

It'll sound better than any built-in computer speakers ;)
Well yea, of course if you really dam particular about the sound aka Audiophile , getting external good speakers connect to the mac is the one. Just that I comparing the M3 iMac internal speaker vs the old intel iMac which build in 2015 I find it kinda surprise that the old intel iMac it seem sound slightly better than the M3 iMac. I forget to add one point is that old 2015 iMac is 21.5 inch not the the 27inch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.