Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NEOMO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Hi everyone! I am an amateur designer. I love my iPad and happy to see Apple continues to improve the lightness of their product. However, the design in most iPad cases on market didn’t evolve at all, and that makes me really disappointed.:confused:

Since a good case is essential for user experience of iPad, I made up a proposal trying to create a better iPad case with my friends, and we’ve already realized the idea into a prototype...:cool:

Our ideal iPad case would have the following features:

*Carbon Fiber structure inside – to make the case super thin, lightest ever!
(We know cabon fiber is very expensive, so need to use it wisely.)

*Magnetic detachable-sleeve (flap) – to reduced hand-held burden
(One year ago, I thought out a magnetic mechanism that can make it handy and reliable.)

*Portrait/Landscape multiple viewing-angles, and Stable when typing on lap
(This part is not new, but products on market that have these features are always thick and heavy…)

*Mountable on seat back, creating the best personal TV for traveling on plane or train
(One of the best thing on our iPad is the quality of screen: Clear, Rich-color, and Wide angle-of-view. On the contrary, the size/resolution of TV display on airplane makes us frustrated. Since we have our iPad with 10” Retina Display and iTune, why not installing it by ourselves instead?)

*Mountable on ferromagnetic surface. (ex. Fridge)
(It would be useful in daily life. Of course, the magnet shouldn’t affect or damage the iPad)

Sounds incredible, right?;) Yes, it seems unpractical and the cost should be sky-high. However, my friends and I did create the prototype, it works quite well...
0B8V_SSC5jH_uUXp6V0ZRbkhFR2c

This magnetic detachable-sleeve can hold up to 1.8 kilograms. I have to say it’s MUCH more safe & reliable than Smart Cover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uwq5JlpMQM

And here comes the coolest thing, mount it on seat back when we travel by train or plane!:D
0B8V_SSC5jH_uZXJ4MDhIZUhuaGM

(The GIF was taken on high speed train in Japan, I've also tested the invention on flight, it also works!)

The device is a combination of special magnetic unit and a powerful suction pod. Usually, the table on seat back is made of plastic, so the suction pod can be attached super firmly, no need to worry about safety. If you still doubt on it, the video below would probably convince you…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGqfok7CkAA

Of course, it shouldn’t be too hard to mount my iPad on fridge….
0B8V_SSC5jH_uV3ZYaWt4ZW9uRGs

My cases provide multi-angles from 25~50 degrees, both landscape and portrait.
0B8V_SSC5jH_uek14V0E1d3Vubnc

The iPad can be rotated freely on the sleeve. It's magnetically connected. So, there's no groove and no revolving axle on it, ensuring the thinness of the case.

To improve the stability when typing on lap, I also designed a new folding mechanism that can fulfill both ergonomics and flexibility.
0B8V_SSC5jH_uM1ZLZWxlTUVlbVk

Finally, the most important thing, this case is surprisingly light!:eek: It weights just around 150 grams. I think most of the iPad cases on market are way heavier than that. Not to mention the sleeve can be detached to reduce the extra hand-held weight. (by the way, the carbon fiber plate is placed inside the sleeve)
0B8V_SSC5jH_uU0QteGdYcVRzZ1U

I would love to hear people’s opinions on the revolutionary iPad case, no matter criticized or praised. Do you think my design can fulfill your requirement?;) Or is there anything need to be improved? Every suggestion is welcome. Thank you!

(I grew up in Taiwan and my thesis adviser is a Japanese, please pardon my poor English :eek:)

itsOver9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2013
B.F., KS
Looks sweet! You're braver than I am, spinning your iPad around like that in some of those .gifs. LOL
Now, how much will it cost? :)

NEOMO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Looks sweet! You're braver than I am, spinning your iPad around like that in some of those .gifs. LOL
Now, how much will it cost? :)

HaHa! I have 100% confident on my magnetic unit.:cool:

Now the prototype is hand-made by myself (believe it or not, it's assembled by 3M double side tape and super glue:eek:). So I'm not very sure how the exactly cost will be if I start mass-producing this novel iPad case. However, I think I can earn reasonable interest if I set the price at 59~69USD per piece.

Last edited:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
HaHa! I have 100% confident on my magnetic unit.:cool:

Now the prototype is hand-made by myself (believe it or not, it's assembled by 3M double side tape and super glue:eek:). So I'm not very sure how the exactly cost will be if I start mass-producing this novel iPad case. However, I think I can earn reasonable interest if I set the price at 59~69USD per piece.

Only one issue with your design. DO NOT use carbon fiber. Use carbon Kevlar. Carbon fiber blocks both radio and NFC transmissions. It is similar to metal in this regard. This is why Motorola uses the carbon Kevlar weave on the Motorola Droid vs carbo fiber.

Just thought I would mention that bit of info since it would directly effect any cellular ipad owner.

NEOMO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2014
Only one issue with your design. DO NOT use carbon fiber. Use carbon Kevlar. Carbon fiber blocks both radio and NFC transmissions. It is similar to metal in this regard.

Thank you for your advice. Some of my friends also have the same opinion and suggested me not using carbon fiber. However, in my design the carbon fiber doesn't surround the iPad. The hard-shell is still made of PC plastic.

I've tested the case excessively about 5 months and I can confirm that it doesn't affect the wifi or GPS signal transmission.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.