Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j_blrd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2020
Battery Grapher.png
Battery Grapher Appstore 5.png

Like many of you, I am always trying to extend my watch’s battery life and was frustrated that a battery graph wasn’t included in watchOS. The app ended up growing into much more than just a battery grapher however.

Battery Grapher graphs your Apple Watch's historical battery levels and learns your habits to intelligently predict what your future battery levels will be. Future battery level predictions get better the longer you use the app!

Developed specifically with energy consumption in mind, Battery Grapher has almost no impact on battery life. The app runs a background task only once an hour, and doesn't require an iPhone or internet connection, which keeps battery consumption extremely low

Battery Grapher costs $1.99, and has no in app purchases or ads. Just putting an app on the App Store costs $99/year, so I hope you can understand the small cost. Also, it will allow me to continue adding new features to the app :)

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/battery-grapher-for-watch/id1498632956?ls=1

I so far I am planning to add:
  • Real time battery graph for large complications
  • Stats page with more detailed battery info (%/hr, time since last charge, etc.)
  • Feel free to comment any other features you want to see on the app!
I live in Hong Kong and schools are closed for the next 4+ weeks because of the corona virus, so I will have plenty of time to add new features!

- Joshua Bird

Edit: Added complication image!

Last edited:

MacGarage

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Ohio
My first impression is that this is a very nice app and I like the complications (infographic corner one is great!).

You should add some images of the complications as it may be helpful for those interested in replacing the battery complication.

Panther61

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2017
MD
Looks great Joshua will give it a try and download tonight! I will be sure to leave a review on the app. store so you can continue your work!

Reactions: j_blrd

joedan76

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2013
Thanks very much, such a useful app and worth the money.

You have kept it neat and tidy really just feels like it's part of watchOS.

j_blrd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2020
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I added an image of what the complications look like.

Feel free to tell me anything you want to see in the next update!

zanswer

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2019
Siberia
Hey j_bird,

I have a couple of questions for you. I’ve already get your app, cool idea, but I didn’t get, is iPhone app right now is only needed to install watch app or it can do something else? Is iPhone app needed to get updates of watch app in feature or it can update itself without iPhone app?

j_blrd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2020
The iPhone app currently doesnt have much on it, but in future updates I plan to add more to the iPhone app (things like changing settings and looking at the battery graph).

Reactions: Duane Williams

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Quick question: what is the impact of this app (when installed in the Dock as instructed) on battery life?

The developer has answered in the first post and with more detail in post 18.

Last edited:

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
App looks good so far after playing for a few minutes.
Quick question... in the watch app, under complication, it says “Gauge Max Hours” and lets you select a number from 6-48 going by 3’s. What’s that for? I’m using the large dead center complication on the Infograph Modular face. Sorry if it’s obvious but I only slept three hours last night and I’m having a hard time concentrating lol.

j_blrd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2020
The "gauge max hours" changes the max hour on the gauge. There are only gauges for the complications on the infograph face.
For example, if you have 6h of predicted battery left, if you set the gauge max hours to 12, the gauge will be half full, and if you set it to 24, it will be a quarter full. Hope that makes sense!

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
The "gauge max hours" changes the max hour on the gauge. There are only gauges for the complications on the infograph face.
For example, if you have 6h of predicted battery left, if you set the gauge max hours to 12, the gauge will be half full, and if you set it to 24, it will be a quarter full. Hope that makes sense!
Yes it does. Thank you.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Purchased. Saw you on Reddit (I believe?) before you posted here. Was wondering if it would ever make it here. Always wanted an app like this for my watch! Thanks!

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Those who might have the misimpression that this app is just a toy with no real utility might want to check out a post where I use it to evaluate the battery-life cost of transferring hundreds of megabytes to the Watch. (Spoiler: little or no impact at all, to my surprise.)

Really, the Battery Grapher app is very useful indeed!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Those who might have the misimpression that this app is just a toy with no real utility might want to check out a post where I use it to evaluate the battery-life cost of transferring hundreds of megabytes to the Watch. (Spoiler: little or no impact at all, to my surprise.)

Really, the Battery Grapher app is very useful indeed!
I’m looking forward to notifications of battery life — like being notified at about 30% left and 20% left. Gives me the opportunity to switch to cinema mode to save on some battery should I decide I need it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.