Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

artkngs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
Hey guys,

Yesterday I was trying to fix my Logitech's speaker system while it was connected to my MBPr 15". I know, I'm an idiot. I was playing with the system's cables to find out which was the stereo audio ones and suddenly the right audio channel of the Macbook's headphone jack stopped working, it now has only a noise that keeps changing intensity. The left channel still works fine.

As screwing up my laptop wasn't enough, I tried to test the speakers with my iPhone (thinking the problem was in the speaker's cables) and boom, same thing happened.

Now I have two devices with only one-channel audio output. I'm feeling the dumbest person in this world to have accomplished that.

Anyway, I wonder if replacing the mac's headphone jack and the iPhone's dock would solve this issue, or if the logic board might have been damaged as well (my worst nightmare). Help me, please!

artkngs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
Have you tried other speakers/ headphones on your Mac or iPhone? Are you certain it's not the speakers after all?
Yes, I've tried with two different headphone sets and the same thing happens. I'm sure the problem is in the Mac and iPhone :(

artkngs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
I agree with resetting the SMC (system management controller) on the Mac. Nothing to lose by giving it a try...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295
I've already tried it too, though I haven't tried resetting PRAM yet. I'll give it a try right now.
[doublepost=1470849888][/doublepost]
I've already tried it too, though I haven't tried resetting PRAM yet. I'll give it a try right now.
Yep, just as I thought. Nothing changed after resetting the PRAM and SMC. Do you think the problem may be in the headphone jack itself or something in the logic board?

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
Thats the symptom of dead short on an amplifier, which is what it sounds like you did. I'm surprised there isn't a protection circuit, though. The odds of both your headphone jacks on your Mac and iPhone going bad like that is pretty slim, so I'm leaning more towards logic board.

You did try different cables, and not just different speakers, right?

artkngs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
Thats the symptom of dead short on an amplifier, which is what it sounds like you did. I'm surprised there isn't a protection circuit, though. The odds of both your headphone jacks on your Mac and iPhone going bad like that is pretty slim, so I'm leaning more towards logic board.

Yes, I tried different headphones...
[doublepost=1470854116][/doublepost]

If the problem is in the mac's logic board, is there a way to fix it without replacing the whole thing? Also, I already bought an iPhone dock replacement (the bottom part which contains the lightining port, headphone jack, speakers etc.) Do you think that replacing that part would solve the problem? Thank you

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
Yes, I tried different headphones...
[doublepost=1470854116][/doublepost]
If the problem is in the mac's logic board, is there a way to fix it without replacing the whole thing? Also, I already bought an iPhone dock replacement (the bottom part which contains the lightining port, headphone jack, speakers etc.) Do you think that replacing that part would solve the problem? Thank you

My guess, based on the fact that even the ram is soldered on the logic board, is that you are going to have to get a new logic board. But I would make a Genius Bar appointment and see what they say.

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
Sorry to mention the obvious but you didn't mention it in the OP -- you did check in sound preferences to see if the balance was moved, right?

I don't know anything about this specific product but an associate told be their jack had blown and they got joy by using an USB adapter. Something similar to this -- https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Alum...nt+aluminum+usb+external+stereo+sound+adapter

There must be others around.

That's uh... A really good point. Haha good thinking.

artkngs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
Sorry to mention the obvious but you didn't mention it in the OP -- you did check in sound preferences to see if the balance was moved, right?

I don't know anything about this specific product but an associate told be their jack had blown and they got joy by using an USB adapter. Something similar to this -- https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Alum...nt+aluminum+usb+external+stereo+sound+adapter

There must be others around.
Yep, I've checked the sound balance haha. I'm currently using a cheap USB adapter temporarily but the sound isn't so good. I'll try to replace the headphone jack on the mac, and hopefully it'll fix the problem, if not, I'll stick with an USB one, can't afford a logic board replacement right now.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Yep, I've checked the sound balance haha. I'm currently using a cheap USB adapter temporarily but the sound isn't so good. I'll try to replace the headphone jack on the mac, and hopefully it'll fix the problem, if not, I'll stick with an USB one, can't afford a logic board replacement right now.

Get a USB DAC. The sound will be much better than the sound from your Mac's audio jack every will be.

Reactions: artkngs

artkngs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
Get a USB DAC. The sound will be much better than the sound from your Mac's audio jack every will be.
I found this Behringer UCA-202, it's more affordable and seems to have good quality audio. Would you recommend it?

artkngs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
Have you tried a digital (optical) cable in the headphone jack? That might still work.
That probably still works indeed. But I haven't tried it yet since I don't have any device with optical input. I wonder if there is any adapter for 3.5mm jack out there...

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
That probably still works indeed. But I haven't tried it yet since I don't have any device with optical input. I wonder if there is any adapter for 3.5mm jack out there...
There definitely is but they are all powered so you'd have a second wire to a power adapter. Still doesn't take up a USB port. Maybe Airplay or bluetooth is the way to go! :)

ps. I've been thinking maybe you could put a toothpick in the port to see if it glows red (means optical works). But seeing your luck so far, maybe not. :p

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.