Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohanCruyff

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Italy
I don't know why FAH decided that I'm eligible for WUs of 1760 points each.

My problem is that my iMac works only two or three hours a day and, after a few days of computing, the console tells me that I've reached 60% or so of the WU but its deadline has expired, so I will be assigned a new WU.

If the iMac works all day long (rarely!), everything works fine: processing the whole WU requires some 30 hours.

How can I ask Mr. FAH to assign me less complex WUs, or WUs without deadline, in order to avoid waste of processing hours?

Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. I run MAC OSX 10.5 (Leopard) on an Intel iMac 2.4Ghz

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
... WUs of 1760 points each.

How can I ask Mr. FAH to assign me less complex WUs, or WUs without deadlines...

sounds like from the '1760' that you're running the SMP client and guessing that you downloaded and installed the 6.20 package. there is no way to get smaller WUs using that, and there is always a deadline of only a couple days on SMP WUs, so that won't work for you. also, as a note, there are no more 'deadlineless' work units, they gave that up a couple years ago.

Stanford is working on a Guide for Uniprocessor, HERE (scroll down to Macintosh), but as of now it still says 'coming soon'.

what i know for fact is that using the 6.20 install/client, it will add the FAH icon to your system preferences panel, and will auto start the SMP client by default on an Intel system. i think you would need to first uninstall 6.20 using the Uninstall directions. next, download and install the 6.02 console only version, and call the client without the -smp flag to get it to run the standard client (non-smp). if it works, it would only run on one cpu and would give you plenty of time to finish the WU only folding a couple hours a day. i don't have a system to try this on right now, but if i get a chance, i will try and post back.

so bottom line, either get geeky with the 6.02 console version and call the client from a terminal window, or wait until Stanford comes up with something better. hope this helps, best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.