Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
So, I finally decided to get my Mac Pro. I called the Apple store to see if they could build it to what I wanted, and they said sure they could. I went in, and told them I wanted the 2.66 with the standard gig of ram, the x1900 and Bluetooth with a BT keyboard and mouse. Hey, while you are at it, throw in a 30". The girl who was ringing me up was having a hard time with the educational discounts, so she just started discounting stuff. I figured it would be around right, so I didn't question.

They said it would be about 45 minutes to install everything, so I went and got something to eat. Unfortunately, they were not done in time, so I had to go to work to pick up some stuff. Fast forward two hours, I go back and pick it up. Get it home, tear out the old stuff on the desk, and then set up this bad boy. Take it out of the box, and guess what, there is a regular keyboard on top. Sweet, I got a BT keyboard and mouse, AND a wireless keyboard and mouse. so I go to set it up and guess what, there are TWO video cards in there. So I have the x1900 AND the 7300gt!

I'm pretty stoked, and I'll post pictures of it later. The only problem is with the BT mouse, it kind of....sucks. It skips around and does not track well. Is that because I don't have it on a real mousepad? I had ball mice before, and just used them on the desk. I've tried this one on the desk, on paper, and on a book, no dice.

I'll order some more RAM tomorrow, and i'll be set for awhile!

I'M STOKED!

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
congrats on the MP!

I have to ask...shouldn't you return the 7300 and the original keyboard? is it standard to keep the stock card when you upgrade? asking b/c i'm about to buy one too.

Cheers,
keebler

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville
Return the items? Not unless they charged him for it. Figure it's a bonus for not knowing what they are doing.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I'm jealous... that's the system I've been wanting for a while, but I keep holding off... saving, saving, saving.

I guess the one concern I have is regarding future updates. It seems mighty Apple-like to put out a top of the line machine and then sit back. Everyone who wants the eightcore will spend a ton of money to get it... and then a couple weeks later apple ups the rest of the line to lower model 8 cores.

I could see it happening and I object to MR's buyer guide recommending people buy now just because of the single 8core release.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
I'm jealous... that's the system I've been wanting for a while, but I keep holding off... saving, saving, saving.

I guess the one concern I have is regarding future updates. It seems mighty Apple-like to put out a top of the line machine and then sit back. Everyone who wants the eightcore will spend a ton of money to get it... and then a couple weeks later apple ups the rest of the line to lower model 8 cores.

I could see it happening and I object to MR's buyer guide recommending people buy now just because of the single 8core release.

Yeah, I agree. I've been waiting a long time as well, and I just can't wait any longer. My workflow has been TERRIBLE, and I needed it all in one machine, and a large enough display to work on multiple applications at once. I figure if they come out with something I can't live without, I can always sell and buy again. If I can live without it, thats the way technology goes, no matter when you buy, you will be out of date within 6 mos!

anyway, on to the pics!

You'll notice, in the before pics, There were two boxes, two mice, two keyboards, and a whole MESS of wires!

Look what my desk looks like now! And now I have one big happy family!

(And by the way, this mouse is annoying the CRAP out of me!)

Attachments

• IMG_4501.jpg
    IMG_4501.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4500.jpg
    IMG_4500.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_4504.jpg
    IMG_4504.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_4507.jpg
    IMG_4507.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 160

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
In your pictures it looks like your desk is shiny. I don't know if this works with laser mice, but you can try using it on a piece of paper. It should help the skipping.

Lord Nerdos

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2007
Osaka
Congratulations!

I bought mine last Friday. I finally flipped after all the waiting and the revelation about Leopard's delay. Jumped on subway with $4000 in my pocket (only in Japan) and picked it up at the Apple store in Osaka.
The girl seemed surprised that I was going to take it with me. After walking a couple of yards with the damn thing back to the subway station I realised why. Got home and gave the free ipod nano to my wife. Just as well as it was our wedding anniversary the next day and I had forgotten about it:eek:

I'm glad I didn't wait any longer. Who knows when (or if) the mac pros will change to an all 8-core line up. The benchmarks made up my mind for me!

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I think BiikeMike might need to go out and spend like $20 at Staples and get a bunch of cables ties and velcro wraps, and really get that cable mess cleaned up. Your new computer really deserves better.

Maybe buy some crimpers and start making custom cables that are just as long as you need... just do something. :)

joachim

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2007
Congrats on your purchase! I'm glad you posted pictures. I can't get enough of the ACD pics!

Btw, try the wired mouse. You'll probably get way better performance.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Yeah yeah, blah blah, I have the zip ties, I JUST WANTED TO GET MY COMPUTER SET UP!

too bad I have to be at work really early I and just got to install Lightroom. Tomorrow after work I will really get into it, and when i'm done, i'll install Doom3 :D

One other question, I have some realllly old Altec Lansing speakers that worked with the PowerMac G3, and didn't work with my crappy windoze box. I figured it was somthing wrong with the box, but now the speakers don't work with the Mac Pro. Is there something different about those old Powermacs?

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Hey,

Just a little tip based on my experience: try to put the MP on your desk or at least off the floor. with all the holes, they tend to collect dust pretty easily, especially on the floor.

YT

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Hey,

Just a little tip based on my experience: try to put the MP on your desk or at least off the floor. with all the holes, they tend to collect dust pretty easily, especially on the floor.

YT

are you serious? That is definantly not an option. My woman would kill me if I put that thing on the desk! plus, then there would be no room for the ACD :)

Thanks for the tip though, I'll keep an eye on the dust, and clean it regularly.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
I, also purchased a quad 2.66 this weekend.

I don't think the 2 video cards were a mistake. In fact I'm sure of it.

When I went in to configure my system this weekend (Go Delaware, no sales tax!) I asked if they could do 2 x 1 gig sticks of RAM. He came back and said they could but they couldn't keep the 2x512s so i wouldn't be getting a discount or 'trade in value' so to speak. They would keep them in the machine or give them to me. I suspect you paid more than the ~230.00 for the 1900XT which is what the online store would have charged you to 'upgrade' from the 7300.

As for her randomly discounting stuff, cool.

But yes, My Pro is a BEAST. I ordered 2x1gig sticks from OWC for 240 shipped. I just put 2 500 gig maxtor prolines in raid 0 for my boot drive. She FLIES!

5 internal drives. 2 500s, 2 320s, and a 250. Yum.

Here she is

DSCN1200.jpg

speekez

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2003
Built to order in store?

So, I finally decided to get my Mac Pro. I called the Apple store to see if they could build it to what I wanted, and they said sure they could. I went in, and told them I wanted the 2.66 with the standard gig of ram, the x1900 and Bluetooth with a BT keyboard and mouse. Hey, while you are at it, throw in a 30". The girl who was ringing me up was having a hard time with the educational discounts, so she just started discounting stuff. I figured it would be around right, so I didn't question.

I didn't know you could get built-to-order Macs in the store. Is this the case with lots of Apple stores. I was about to order mine online tonight, but if I could get it locally, then all the better......

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Hey,

YT

towers BELONG on the floor

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
BPD, you are right. I just checked the reciept, and it was a little more than $100 more than $230 ($359 to be exact). Oh well, Now I have two video cards :)

I still got the whole kit and kaboodle for under $5g's with some software included (and stupid VA tax) so i'm pretty happy!

BTW, I like your background ;)

GrBear

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2007
towers BELONG on the floor
As an IT manager dealing with many many Wintel towers I can tell you this, placing them on the floor is the fastest way to kill a computer. That being said, since the Mac Pro's CPU does not have a fan on it to seize up from dust, it may be less of an issue, it depends on the fins of the the heatsink. Even so, the fans are much more likely to start getting noisy and eventually seize at a much higher rate than if it was off the floor.

After seeing the countless damaged computers (from inhaled dust) that were sitting on floors, I'll never let one sit under my desk ever again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.