Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KrisYYC

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Hey all,

First off, I'm by no means a huge Apple fan. I use both iPhone XS and Google Pixel 3, I have a 2016 iPad Pro but my computers are all Windows machines. I've been critical of Apple in the past, when they deserved it IMO.

Despite that, I don't understand the huge amount of flak they're getting over the latest Keynote and the new iPhone 11/11pro's. The amount of criticism seems much worse this year than previous years. Here in the forums, on YouTube, even popular tech YouTubers kinda trashing it.

What I saw in the keynote was three new iPhones, a pretty significant upgrade to the XR with the 11 AND a price drop (unheard of). A big camera upgrade to the 11 pro and a big battery life upgrade to the 11 pro WITHOUT a price increase. Not to mention getting Apple TV+ free for a year if you buy any Apple device, even the cheapest iPad. All of that seems pretty good to me!:cool:

What were people expecting? A ton of new half-baked "features" like a Samsung or Huawei phone? Apple never competes with feature lists and spec sheet bragging.

I'm not sure why people were expecting something earth shattering this year. None of the iPhone's have been really earth shattering for the last 5 years or so. I think people are taking their marketing buzzwords a little too literally.

Just my $0.02

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Opinion on here seems to be 50% satisfied. I think it's just a case of people not wanting to accept that smartphones in general have reached maturity, and they look to Apple to innovate with something new because what they've done has always pushed everyone in a certain direction, but fact is just that smartphones aren't going to be revolutionised every 2 years.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...pdate-this-year-or-did-you-want-more.2198211/

Larvas

macrumors regular
May 15, 2014
Berlin
Every year you see the same **** going on.

The media pumps up the hype around the event because every news title with "apple" in it generates clicks (clicks = revenue)

With all of these articles overpromising (and hyping up with rumours) 90% of the internet thinks that they are true, although some of them are obviously stupid (like, a new Macbook Pro on an iPhone event, wtf).

Once the event comes people don't look at the new features, but rather on everything which was "overpromised" by the media but "underdelivered" by Apple.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
As social media gets used daily and hourly by more and more people it just brings out whinging in more and more people.
I use social media for quite a few of my interests and you have to find quite heavily moderated groups to have an enjoyable experience.
I’m sure 90% of you tubers who go overboard do so for views and in turn $. It’s not to say people can’t have a negative opinion about a product but they’re not making multiple negative videos for any of the android phones that come out are they.

Reactions: E.Lizardo

KrisYYC

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Opinion on here seems to be 50% satisfied. I think it's just a case of people not wanting to accept that smartphones in general have reached maturity, and they look to Apple to innovate with something new because what they've done has always pushed everyone in a certain direction, but fact is just that smartphones aren't going to be revolutionised every 2 years.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...pdate-this-year-or-did-you-want-more.2198211/

Agreed. There's only so much you can do with the current smartphone form factor. I think Apple was right to improve where it matters (Camera, battery life) and not worry about gimmicky crap like bi-lateral wireless charging or 5G when it's no where near ready on the network level.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I just assume that all the people who are hating on it either:

a) can’t afford it so they bash it

b) have a recent model and can’t find a reason to upgrade right now so they feel compelled to talk smack to help them justify their decision to keep their current phone

I just can’t imagine someone who is truly satisfied with themselves wasting their time and energy on spewing negativity online.

Coffee_Time

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2017
Hey all,

First off, I'm by no means a huge Apple fan. I use both iPhone XS and Google Pixel 3, I have a 2016 iPad Pro but my computers are all Windows machines. I've been critical of Apple in the past, when they deserved it IMO.

Despite that, I don't understand the huge amount of flak they're getting over the latest Keynote and the new iPhone 11/11pro's. The amount of criticism seems much worse this year than previous years. Here in the forums, on YouTube, even popular tech YouTubers kinda trashing it.

What I saw in the keynote was three new iPhones, a pretty significant upgrade to the XR with the 11 AND a price drop (unheard of). A big camera upgrade to the 11 pro and a big battery life upgrade to the 11 pro WITHOUT a price increase. Not to mention getting Apple TV+ free for a year if you buy any Apple device, even the cheapest iPad. All of that seems pretty good to me!:cool:

What were people expecting? A ton of new half-baked "features" like a Samsung or Huawei phone? Apple never competes with feature lists and spec sheet bragging.

I'm not sure why people were expecting something earth shattering this year. None of the iPhone's have been really earth shattering for the last 5 years or so. I think people are taking their marketing buzzwords a little too literally.

Just my $0.02
It's a marketing Big strategy. First unveil some MAGIC features of the phone, see cameras, then accelerate the HATE to create EMOTION for customers. They'll go and buy BLINDED BASED on that EMOTION. Apple is doing the HATE. Believe it or not.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
When Apple announced their Credit card, just a low rumble.
Now that it’s being shipped, it’s too heavy, it gets dirty, it gets scratched, its color is racist, the interest is too high, the edges are sharp, does it bend , people who have it are stupid, people who use it look so dumb, it’s a rip off, apple tax, blah blah blah. o_O

same drum beat for any other Apple product.

But if you want money for people with minds that hate
All I can tell is brother you have to wait

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.