Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
I said in this thread that my iPad Pro 9.7 deactivated out of the blue on iOS 9: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-9-activation-error-ipad-pro-9-7.2198681/#post-27789526.
I tried a lot of things. I tried iMazing’s exit setup assistant, multiple hard resets, a tool from the jailbreak community, nothing worked. My iPad wouldn’t activate. In the end, Apple’s activation servers are broken on 64-bit devices on iOS 9, and I found a LOT of people that said they had to update. After hours of trying, I gave up. I updated to iOS 12.4.1. Performance is fine, other than a little keyboard lag in notes (weirdly, I am typing as fast as I can, and it doesn’t lag here or elsewhere). Also, performance on everything else is like-new.
Now, battery life took a MASSIVE dive. I’m a light user. My iPad got 13-14 hours when new on iOS 9. It was getting 12-13 before updating, with 84% health.
I use the iPad lightly, and it isn’t lasting 10 hours. Not even ten. Don’t say that it’s battery health, clearly it was fine on iOS 9.
Also: I don’t even want to imagine what it does to older iPhones... I guess what I thought and witnessed on a friend’s iPhone 7 was true. It barely scraped four hours, down from 8 initially on iOS 10.

inkahauts

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
I said in this thread that my iPad Pro 9.7 deactivated out of the blue on iOS 9: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-9-activation-error-ipad-pro-9-7.2198681/#post-27789526.
I tried a lot of things. I tried iMazing’s exit setup assistant, multiple hard resets, a tool from the jailbreak community, nothing worked. My iPad wouldn’t activate. In the end, Apple’s activation servers are broken on 64-bit devices on iOS 9, and I found a LOT of people that said they had to update. After hours of trying, I gave up. I updated to iOS 12.4.1. Performance is fine, other than a little keyboard lag in notes (weirdly, I am typing as fast as I can, and it doesn’t lag here or elsewhere). Also, performance on everything else is like-new.
Now, battery life took a MASSIVE dive. I’m a light user. My iPad got 13-14 hours when new on iOS 9. It was getting 12-13 before updating, with 84% health.
I use the iPad lightly, and it isn’t lasting 10 hours. Not even ten. Don’t say that it’s battery health, clearly it was fine on iOS 9.
Also: I don’t even want to imagine what it does to older iPhones... I guess what I thought and witnessed on a friend’s iPhone 7 was true. It barely scraped four hours, down from 8 initially on iOS 10.

How do you charge it? Have you checked what’s running in the background? Maybe something is running and killing your battery. I’d check the battery usage data...

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
How do you charge it? Have you checked what’s running in the background? Maybe something is running and killing your battery. I’d check the battery usage data...
All battery settings are enabled, background app refresh off, I close applications. This thing is airtight. It’s just the OS...

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Yup. My iPhone 6s and my relatives iPhone 6s battery magically started to act up right after the iOS 12 update. Fast battery drain. Dying around when it says I have 15% battery life left...etc

Amazing it "magically" informed me my battery was too far "degraded" and required a new one.

Reactions: Stalyn and jpn

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Yup. My iPhone 6s and my relatives iPhone 6s battery magically started to act up right after the iOS 12 update. Fast battery drain. Dying around when it says I have 15% battery life left...etc

Amazing it "magically" informed me my battery was too far "degraded" and required a new one.

That’s just the defective 6 line. They were recalled and many people’s batteries did that.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
My iPhone 7+ took a hit but and I notice it but I'll live with it. Can't blame the battery either - I just replaced it on Monday.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
don’t close apps. There is absolutely no need and it has been said many times by developers that it actually hurts battery life. When an app isn’t active... it isn’t active.
I know, I’m just used to it. Doesn’t make a huge difference.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
5.5 hours of usage and I’m at 47%, this is pathetic. I’m going to try calibrating it (that isn’t needed anymore but I can’t try anything else, so...)

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
I really hate that Apple doesn’t let you restore to any OS. I’m the customer and I know what my needs are
[automerge]1569453810[/automerge]

Do you use iCloud?

Reactions: jpn

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
I do, but I also used it before.

I noticed with devices that are signed into iCloud on the newer OSes the battery life takes a dip particularly in standby time. For example, I restored my iPhone X (95% battery health) left it on lower power mode and it drained 4% while in standby. However, I have an iPhone 7 on iOS 12 jailbreak broken and it’s lasted an entire week on standby.

Reactions: MishiRN

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
getting less than 5 hours on my (feeling old) 6s.
before updating to iOS13, it could last around 6 hours only.
but now with only 5 hours, i need to carry a battery case with me whenever i am away from home.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
@aakshey you asked me about iOS 9’s battery life a few months ago. I guess this confirms it...
[automerge]1569454613[/automerge]
getting less than 5 hours on my (feeling old) 6s.
before updating to iOS13, it could last around 6 hours only.
but now with only 5 hours, i need to carry a battery case with me whenever i am away from home.
I got 8-9 hours on iOS 9

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
It’s been over a week.
Has it been on and plugged in? A week off doesn't count. If so then IDK maybe restore it? I've done updates on both my iPad and iPhones and haven't noticed a hit after the first few days. I just updated my iPad to iPad OS 13.1 so we'll see about that one. I updated my AW to Watch OS 6 and it seems to run down faster but it's only been a day.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Has it been on and plugged in? A week off doesn't count. If so then IDK maybe restore it? I've done updates on both my iPad and iPhones and haven't noticed a hit after the first few days. I just updated my iPad to iPad OS 13.1 so we'll see about that one. I updated my AW to Watch OS 6 and it seems to run down faster but it's only been a day.
Yes it has. Restore it and go 13? No way. I don’t want this to come off as rude or insulting. I really appreciate everyone’s help. It’s just that I’m not happy, because Apple forced me to update.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
i do.
use it for everything, all the time.
do you think is causing it to decline dramatically, suddenly?
I don’t think so because I had the exact same setup on iOS 9, and battery life was perfect.

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
i do.
use it for everything, all the time.
do you think is causing it to decline dramatically, suddenly?

Yes I do. As I said with iCloud off my standby times improve significantly and when it’s on it’s really terrible.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
You can’t expect the same amount of battery life after 3 years of iOS release from iOS 9 to 12. There have been significant changes under the hood in terms of fixing bugs, patching vulnerabilities and adding features/services that may require additional power or RAM consumption. If only you can, you would have gotten the most out of iOS 1 on any device because of its simplicity. Software will always keep advancing that will push the limit of the hardware. I’m pretty sure the SE first debut with iOS 9 but still supported today. However, battery life would not be same on that device too.

Reactions: JBGoode

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
You can’t expect the same amount of battery life after 3 years of iOS release from iOS 9 to 12. There have been significant changes under the hood in terms of fixing bugs, patching vulnerabilities and adding features/services that may require additional power or RAM consumption. If only you can, you would have gotten the most out of iOS 1 on any device because of its simplicity. Software will always keep advancing that will push the limit of the hardware. I’m pretty sure the SE first debut with iOS 9 but still supported today. However, battery life would not be same.
I expect it because Apple forced me to update. I don’t care about any fixes or features, at all. I want Apple to let me go back to iOS 9 or for them to not deactivate my iPad on iOS 9.

Reactions: MaximizedAction
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.