Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
I use two Microsoft products on my MacBook - Remote Desktop and Teams. I've used Remote Desktop on my macOS for many years, but recently added Teams. I am guessing that the Microsoft AutoUpdate is because I have Teams installed. I don't have any other Microsoft product installed on my MacBook.

I've got an older mid 2015 15" Retina MacBook Pro running Monterey version 12.7.3

I guess my basic question is if I should remove Microsoft's Autoupdater from my machine - and possibly remove Teams along with it. I would imagine you cannot have one without the other - so if I use Teams then I get Microsoft's wonderful (sarcasm) popup messages informing me an impending update is coming to screw up my computer. /s

Thoughts?

Am I overreacting?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think you are overreacting. Autoupdate will monitor and update Teams. It won't screw up your computer.

Having said that, it's possible you aren't running the latest version of Teams. I'm running it and I don't have Microsoft Autoupdate.

You can download the latest Teams from here:

Reactions: Tagbert

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Not really sure what you are asking about but if you don't want MS Auto Update to bother you either turn off its notifications or disable the check for new versions in its settings or prefs.

MalagLagoon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2019
I deleted the Microsoft AutoUpdate file from this location:
/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0

That should get rid of those annoying PTSD triggering Microsoft auto update popups.

Reactions: Fishrrman

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
i have the MS Office apps and they run MS Autoupdate. It only runs about once a month and then it downloads new apps when there are updates. It then auto installs them. It’s not messing with your overall OS. It works well to update the MS apps. Since I have them I think it is worth having the autoupdate app.

Reactions: kitKAC

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I deleted the Microsoft AutoUpdate file from this location:
/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0

That should get rid of those annoying PTSD triggering Microsoft auto update popups.
You should also delete:
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.autoupdate.helper.plist
/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.microsoft.autoupdate.helper

Reactions: wlossw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.