Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
I picked it (iPhone 6) up and the melted slush was in the charging port. I let it dry in home and when I could see no sign of wetness, I tried to charge it but it charges for a bit and then doesn't charge, then charges for bit, then doesn't charge.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I'd say considering your iPhone 6 has absolutely no water resistance you should clean the charging port with 70% isopropyl alcohol and blow it out with with compressed/canned air and see what happens...

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I’ve heard not to use dry rice because dust can get in there. So yeah alcohol is probably the best.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I picked it (iPhone 6) up and the melted slush was in the charging port. I let it dry in home and when I could see no sign of wetness, I tried to charge it but it charges for a bit and then doesn't charge, then charges for bit, then doesn't charge.

Was it "pure" melted snow?

Or was it snow mixed with ice-melt?

And if was dropped into ice-melt, do you know whether it was Sodium Chloride (NaCl), Calcium Chloride (CaCl2), or something else?

If it was dropped into pure snow, you might be fine. A small amount of water, without much dissolved in it, might not be that bad if it's dried quick. Absent putting it into rice or silicone beads, cleaning it out with a small amount of isopropyl alcohol might help accelerate the evaporation process.

If it was dropped into snow melt with sodium chloride or calcium chloride, you're boned. It's basically salt water, probably the worst option. High high chance any metal it touched is corroded, and even if the water evaporated, the dry salt residue will continue corroding.

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
It was pure snow. Would waiting for a day or two work? even without using rice? Or should I use rice.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
You can pop off the screen on the 6 easily, there is no adhesive just a few clips. Check on YouTube, so you can check if there is any liquid inside and if there is, clean it and dry it out.
Just don’t use alcohol or any cleaner around the screen because the backlight will get messed up when touched by liquid.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
Swab the port with 70% or better isopropyl alcohol (don’t drink it, some here might). Also do the same to the lighting cable tip. Let dry for an hour. Try again.

also ensure that the port isn’t clogged with any dirt that might had come in with the slush.

Any chance ice melt salt was mixed in with the melting snow?

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Where it landed on was pile of snow next to my car when I got out of it. I would think they didn't sprinkle salt there especially because weather is getting warmer and snow is melting anyway without they needing to sprinkle salt.

I don't know if I have any swabs lying around my home...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.