Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clauditorium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
I want to sell my old iMac, so I tried to erase my hard drive. I started it using Internet Recovery. However, instead of selecting the SATA Internal Physical Volume, I selected the Internal Physical Disk and hit "Erase". It seems to have screwed things up. The SATA Volume is now grayed out and shows as having zero KB free. I tried restoring it and First Aid and it didn't work. Any ideas? I will gladly provide more info if needed.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Do you have the original disks that came with your iMac (assuming it came with disks)? That would be the easiest way to reinstall the version of OS X that came with it. If not, you can try Internet Recovery which will install the version of OS X that your machine had from the factory. Since you didn't tell us which iMac you have it's kind of hard to offer specific advice.

clauditorium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Sorry, I can provide more info. It's a 2010 iMac. There are no disks. And it doesn't let me reinstall via Internet Recovery. I just ran First Aid again on the Internal Physical Disk to get you details on what's wrong. Here's the message I get: "First Aid found corruption that needs to be repaired. To repair the startup volume, run First Aid from Recovery." Except, that's what I just tried to do!

Do you have the original disks that came with your iMac (assuming it came with disks)? That would be the easiest way to reinstall the version of OS X that came with it. If not, you can try Internet Recovery which will install the version of OS X that your machine had from the factory. Since you didn't tell us which iMac you have it's kind of hard to offer specific advice.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
It looks like you may have to swap out that disk if you can't repair it with Disk Utility First Aid. There is other software you can try but generally it's probably not going to work any better and is expensive. The ifixit web site has good instructions on how to change that hard drive (www.ifixit.com). Getting into an iMac is a rather difficult task if you've never done it before. Also, your 2010 iMac uses a special hard drive with temperature sensor. You'll need to buy a special cable to compensate for that temperature sensor or the hard drive fan will rev up to full rpm when you swap out the drive. The cable is sold by Mac Sales. (www.macsales.com)

If all that sounds like too much work, just go ahead and sell your iMac as is with the defective hard drive. That means less money on the sale but doing the repair may not be worth your time and energy.

Reactions: clauditorium

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You need a way to boot the iMac from an external drive, then run Disk Utility, and then install a clean copy of the OS.

Do you have one now?

zhaoxin

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2015
You should make a usb install disk of macOS. Just looking for How to make a usb boot os x install disk.

Then boot from that disk to install os x.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Sorry, I can provide more info. It's a 2010 iMac. There are no disks. And it doesn't let me reinstall via Internet Recovery. I just ran First Aid again on the Internal Physical Disk to get you details on what's wrong. Here's the message I get: "First Aid found corruption that needs to be repaired. To repair the startup volume, run First Aid from Recovery." Except, that's what I just tried to do!

Formatting the drive like you mentioned earlier, the disk rather than just the volume, is not a problem and did not cause this. It sounds like you have a bad drive and it needs to be replaced.

Are you sure you are booting to "Internet recovery" and not just regular recovery? There is a difference.

Internet recovery (which your 2010 iMac does support) is accessed by holding command-option-r at boot. That should bring up a screen where you select your wifi, then you should see a grey screen with a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Once that is done you will see the recovery screen. From there try using Disk Utility to repair and format the drive.

clauditorium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Yes, I've been using Internet recovery. As you say, there might be a problem with the drive. I am investigating this.

It looks like you may have to swap out that disk if you can't repair it with Disk Utility First Aid. There is other software you can try but generally it's probably not going to work any better and is expensive. The ifixit web site has good instructions on how to change that hard drive (www.ifixit.com). Getting into an iMac is a rather difficult task if you've never done it before. Also, your 2010 iMac uses a special hard drive with temperature sensor. You'll need to buy a special cable to compensate for that temperature sensor or the hard drive fan will rev up to full rpm when you swap out the drive. The cable is sold by Mac Sales. (www.macsales.com)

If all that sounds like too much work, just go ahead and sell your iMac as is with the defective hard drive. That means less money on the sale but doing the repair may not be worth your time and energy.
Formatting the drive like you mentioned earlier, the disk rather than just the volume, is not a problem and did not cause this. It sounds like you have a bad drive and it needs to be replaced.

Are you sure you are booting to "Internet recovery" and not just regular recovery? There is a difference.

Internet recovery (which your 2010 iMac does support) is accessed by holding command-option-r at boot. That should bring up a screen where you select your wifi, then you should see a grey screen with a spinning globe while the recovery utility downloads. Once that is done you will see the recovery screen. From there try using Disk Utility to repair and format the drive.

Reactions: Weaselboy

clauditorium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Thanks for the idea. I tried it, but the computer usb boot disk I made isn't showing up for me to boot from it.

You should make a usb install disk of macOS. Just looking for How to make a usb boot os x install disk.

Then boot from that disk to install os x.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Thank you. I'm sure it works great normally. But I just tried it, and my computer doesn't recognize the USB startup disk as an option. My physical hard drive might need to be replaced.
I'm assuming that your not putting USB stick into a USB hub but directly into one of the ports on the Mac itself. Also, I would try another USB stick, or another port. It shouldn't matter if there's a problem with physical drive, it should still come up as a bootable drive when you start up holding down the option key. Have you also tried booting while holding down "C"? That should try to boot from the USB stick.

clauditorium

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2010
Yes, I'm putting the USB directly into the Mac. I don't have any other USB sticks that have a large enough capacity to be used as startup disks. I just tried holding down "C", and it did not work.
I have an update, which might shed some light on the issues. Apparently my graphics card is broken. I am only able to start my computer in safe mode or in internet restore mode...

I'm assuming that your not putting USB stick into a USB hub but directly into one of the ports on the Mac itself. Also, I would try another USB stick, or another port. It shouldn't matter if there's a problem with physical drive, it should still come up as a bootable drive when you start up holding down the option key. Have you also tried booting while holding down "C"? That should try to boot from the USB stick.

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
If you're putting the USB drive in directly that was made correctly, there's more that's screwed up besides a HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.