Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I upgraded to iOS 14.0.1 from iOS 12.4. All works fine.

After updating I went into "reset" and pressed "erase all contents and settings" (I fresh install after an upgrade).

It asked me for the Apple ID password right away. This phone has been lying around for a while (with no SIM) and was set up on this previous Apple ID. Before upgrading it had asked me several time to enter the password for that Apple ID.

I erased without putting in the password as I wanted to set it up on my other newer Apple ID. After that, however, I noticed that the previous apps were very much there, and so was the data.

Shouldn't it all have been erased? It did ask me to setup the WiFi and other basic settings, though.

Thanks!

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Going through the steps you describe should have wiped the phone and it should have restarted to the white “Hello” screen and allowed you to reconfigure the phone like it just came out of the box. I’ve never seen this process fail though.

The results you describe sounds more like you selected “Reset All Settings”, however, rather than “Erase All Content and Settings”. That option will leave your apps and data intact, but reset all the settings to their defaults (including forgetting any saved wifi networks and such)

I would suggest trying again and making sure that you definitely select “Erase All Content and Settings”

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Going through the steps you describe should have wiped the phone and it should have restarted to the white “Hello” screen and allowed you to reconfigure the phone like it just came out of the box. I’ve never seen this process fail though.

The results you describe sounds more like you selected “Reset All Settings”, however, rather than “Erase All Content and Settings”. That option will leave your apps and data intact, but reset all the settings to their defaults (including forgetting any saved wifi networks and such)

I would suggest trying again and making sure that you definitely select “Erase All Content and Settings”
Thanks, I'll do that. You're right, I never saw the white "Hello" screen.
Hopefully, it'll work this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.